Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Found my first copper today-1833!!!

Re: Found my first copper today-1833!!!

Way to go and it is a beauty.Now that is the way to break in that xlt.With the New England accent gotta love them Coppas.
    For every relic that rots away........a piece of history is lost.

WAY TO GO! Such an awesome feeling...my first copper was a Draped Bust Half cent...I'll never forget that day as long as I live. Now get out there and get MORE!...hOORAY! thumbsup01

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    Way to go and it is a beauty.Now that is the way to break in that xlt.With the New England accent gotta love them Coppas.
    Thanx John! And with my Southern Bell accent - I'm perdy DURN happy lol

Quote Originally Posted by sniffy View Post
    WAY TO GO! Such an awesome feeling...my first copper was a Draped Bust Half cent...I'll never forget that day as long as I live. Now get out there and get MORE!...hOORAY! thumbsup01
    Now I have to go look it up (your draped bust half cent) I'm learning as I go! There are soooo many coins out there to be found! I'm hopeful for one that will pay for my detector hehehe

I thought I'd share a few pics where I found it.... I admit it's kinda spooky hunting all by myself with my back turned to the old house, with my headphones on.... lol It's been abandoned for a few years, long story by the owner. I felt safe with the county sheriffs stopping by to check on me, two seperate days. I showed one the coin today- he was mighty impressed, said I needed to go by Mr. ____'s and show it to him...

Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

I can smell them coppers from here lol That place is gonna be loaded. The trick is to slow down a bit (not too slow, not too fast) If you can find your Pre Amp Control, set it higher (at least 7 or so). Also Recovery Speed should go up a bit also. I feel like a dad letting his teenage daughter drive for the first time lol Sorry, I'm sure you have it under control
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by tanacat View Post

That place looks just dreamy
    Yep take your time ,have fun and post lots of pics!
    I can just imagine the hustle an bustle in the hay days of that old place
    Good luck & HH
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

that place looks like a great area and i bet it produces alot of indians and a few more large cents too. don't rule out the silver as well , lots of room it will take you some time to cover it all so work an area by gridding it off . your gonna do well there i can feel it Tanacat .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    If you can find your Pre Amp Control, set it higher (at least 7 or so). Also Recovery Speed should go up a bit also. I feel like a dad letting his teenage daughter drive for the first time lol Sorry, I'm sure you have it under control
    Okay DAD... Would that be under pro settings or basic adjustments... for recovery speed- a bit up would be like over half way? I'm getting the hang of making some adjustments like turning the threshold down ALL the way- a new pet peeve of mine But I love all the tone id sounds. Getting to know all 291 of them! I know some who don't like tone id- how boring imho!

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    that place looks like a great area and i bet it produces alot of indians and a few more large cents too. don't rule out the silver as well , lots of room it will take you some time to cover it all so work an area by gridding it off . your gonna do well there i can feel it Tanacat .

Dan
    Well I hunted a bit yesterday to no avail, but not giving up! I was only there an hour... I wish you guys lived closer- you could join me! And keep the boogy man from sneaking up on me. Headed back out there in a couple hours. I'll keep you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger View Post

That place looks just dreamy
    Yep take your time ,have fun and post lots of pics!
    I can just imagine the hustle an bustle in the hay days of that old place
    Good luck & HH
    I've always had a fascination with old houses and barns, I'd say most people do I found an old metal bench in about 10 pieces- I imagine it was Mr. ____'s mother's, I see her taking a rest after tending to her flowerbed (btw, he told me she had 23 different types of perennials and to help myself when they emerge in the spring)... Going to look it up, see how old of an antique the bench/stool is
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Just now seeing this post, a belated CONGRATZ Tanacat on an awesome looking coin!!
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

Okay DAD... Would that be under pro settings or basic adjustments... for recovery speed- a bit up would be like over half way?
    I can't tell you that That would be acting like Dad lol But I think if it were my machine I would look under pro settings

AWESOME!!!!!!!!CONGRATS!!!!!!!! thumbsup01 SHE'S A BEAUTY!!!!!!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT View Post

AWESOME!!!!!!!!CONGRATS!!!!!!!! thumbsup01 SHE'S A BEAUTY!!!!!!
    lol Thank you for your enthusiasm! Hey I thought mine was nice- I just saw your 1827 Now there's a WOWOWWOWOW one... I asked you on the other thread if you can tell me about uncirculated coins. A friend thought mine might have been uncirculated because they are usually so worn...
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

lol Thank you for your enthusiasm! Hey I thought mine was nice- I just saw your 1827 Now there's a WOWOWWOWOW one... I asked you on the other thread if you can tell me about uncirculated coins. A friend thought mine might have been uncirculated because they are usually so worn...
    well if it was in the ground then it was circulated.but maybe it was a AU almost uncirculated when lost
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT View Post
    well if it was in the ground then it was circulated.but maybe it was a AU almost uncirculated when lost
    In my coin book--- (it prob answers my question if I'd just read more thoroughly lol sorry)--- in the pricing area it lists proofs and uncirculated ones, I'm wondering how people get a hold of those? I'd think govt' would order destroyed after use?
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

In my coin book--- (it prob answers my question if I'd just read more thoroughly lol sorry)--- in the pricing area it lists proofs and uncirculated ones, I'm wondering how people get a hold of those? I'd think govt' would order destroyed after use?
    The word proof is deceiving or at least interpreted wrong some times. You would think proof means the shiniest, most beautiful coins around. And they are when they are made. But the term proof is how the coin is made (method of manufacturing) and not really the condition. A proof coin is always a proof coin, no matter what. You just pay more for the shiny ones lol And the government makes tons of money selling proof sets, and uncirculated sets. They love them lol

The word proof is deceiving or at least interpreted wrong some times. You would think proof means the shiniest, most beautiful coins around. And they are when they are made. But the term proof is how the coin is made (method of manufacturing) and not really the condition. A proof coin is always a proof coin, no matter what. You just pay more for the shiny ones lol And the government makes tons of money selling proof sets, and uncirculated sets. They love them lol
    Oh, okay... I was thinking that the proofs are the ones that MAKE the coin? Like the first ones ever done, in the molds. I will read up on proofs because I'm still confused

Btw, I caught the (gov't) in a lie? In a magazine recently, there was an ad for buying 1921 silver dollars. It said that a farmer in Illinois had just cashed in his cache of thousands of silver dollars- that he's stored in a wooden crate to save until retirement. He'd forgotten about them until recently.

....Well those years don't add up. That farmer would have to be at least 110-120 yrs old right now. In 1921 he'd have to be at least 20 or 30 yrs old to be a farmer, to be able to afford all those silver dollars right?... I thought about calling the number and questioning them on that story rofl
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

Yeah Tana those deals on silver or gold coins always make me think SCAM!! There is the one I hear on the radio about a recent cache of gold US coins being found in Europe and now available for purchase!! Yeah, right!!
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

very nice coin, by looking at your spot i would say you will fined some more nice coins there.

Oh, okay... I was thinking that the proofs are the ones that MAKE the coin? Like the first ones ever done, in the molds. I will read up on proofs because I'm still confused
    ok tana, proofs are coins that are struck twice to give them maximun luster and perfect strikes. Sometimes hand picked planchets (blanks). They are sold to collectors and after that, they are on there own. lol So a proof can be in greaty shape or abused. It depends.. Hope this helps. It is all about the way it is produced and not the condition of of it. Not like uncirculate coins which rely on luster and lack of abrasion.

ok tana, proofs are coins that are struck twice to give them maximun luster and perfect strikes. Sometimes hand picked planchets (blanks). They are sold to collectors and after that, they are on there own. lol So a proof can be in greaty shape or abused. It depends.. Hope this helps. It is all about the way it is produced and not the condition of of it. Not like uncirculate coins which rely on luster and lack of abrasion.
    Thanks! thumbsup01 I grasped that- so they are vey intricate...
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC