Thread: A first for me....

A first for me....

Went out for my first hunt of 2012. Took my Etrac to a old house I was at a couple times with my MXT. I wanted to see if there was anything left. I couldn't believe a Barber Quarter would pop out of the hole. I reached for my camera to shoot some video and found that it didn't make it through the winter. So, I need to get a new camera, but traded it for a BQ. I will take it. Love this Winter
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Re: A first for me....

That's a great find, Dinger! I love Barber Quarters!

Very good results for your first hunt of the year! Sorry about your camera, but a Barber Quarter definitely helps to make up for that.

Congrats on the terrific find!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Thanks Tony.

It was a very strange signal. Lost the threshold all around the signal and thought it was going to be iron. I am still confused on some signals and what to dig. I know I should dig everything, but I am most confused about the high pitched sounds that always seem to be some type of Iron...

Also,

sometimes my clad Washington Quarters are showing me 49/50. I thought I was going to dig a half and ended up pulling out a 1982 Washington. Is there a setting that will help me out with this?

Dinger, thanks for posting. I will never get tired of reading abut Barbers pulled from the ground. Huge congrats.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

That is a beautiful barber quarter!!!

In my experience with silver halves (that phrase is unfortunately almost an oxymoron 8/ ) the CO number will be about the same as that of a silver quarter (47-48) but the FE number will be lower (1-5 instead of 11-12). In fact the standard E-Trac coin program dics's out half dollars so you have to make the adjustment.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Quote Originally Posted by Dinger51 link=topic=9050.msg102011#msg102011 date=1330354512
    I reached for my camera to shoot some video and found that it didn't make it through the winter.
    I was wondering why your video was like that. Bummer about the camera. You just got that camera last spring didn't you?
    But like you said....Oh well! Barber Quarter baby!! <: happydance02 Cameras are alot easier to come by. lol
    Sweet find thumbsup01
    Congrats!
    You might want to go over the whole place again
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter link=topic=9050.msg102024#msg102024 date=1330360547
    That is a beautiful barber quarter!!!

In my experience with silver halves (that phrase is unfortunately almost an oxymoron 8/ ) the CO number will be about the same as that of a silver quarter (47-48) but the FE number will be lower (1-5 instead of 11-12). In fact the standard E-Trac coin program dics's out half dollars so you have to make the adjustment.
    Thanks Epi,

Yes, I opened the screen up to accept the Halves. When I first got my machine, I was testing it and when it came time for the Halves I was upset because I thought it was broke. After a little research and working with the emulator, I felt kinda dumb and changed it.

There is just something about seeing a Barber quarter in the hole that gets the adrenaline rushing. lol It is a sweet old one too. Very nice dig! thumbsup01

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger link=topic=9050.msg102029#msg102029 date=1330360812

I was wondering why your video was like that. Bummer about the camera. You just got that camera last spring didn't you?
    But like you said....Oh well! Barber Quarter baby!! <: happydance02 Cameras are alot easier to come by. lol
    Sweet find thumbsup01
    Congrats!
    You might want to go over the whole place again
    Thanks Tim. I was pretty excited and wanted to share with everyone. I will be off to ebay this week looking for a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinger51 link=topic=9050.msg102013#msg102013 date=1330356333
    It was a very strange signal. Lost the threshold all around the signal and thought it was going to be iron. I am still confused on some signals and what to dig. I know I should dig everything, but I am most confused about the high pitched sounds that always seem to be some type of Iron...
    I know exactly what your talking about. And here's how you check it. When you hear that high pitched tone we all want to hear all the time lol Make a mental note of where you think the target should be by the way it's reporting on each swing. Then while in pin point, if the machine drags you over to one side or the other of the initial place you suspected it to be, it's usually iron. Same thing...imagine were you think it should be, then turn 90° to it and swing over it slowly. If it's just a null it's a piece of iron. If it starts to sound better or still skweek.... DIG MAN DIG! thumbsup01
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Congrats on the nice Barber Quarter .

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

Congrats on your first Barber quarter WTG |

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Hey, that is one sweet Barber! Love the Barbers! Gotta be the best looking coin ever minted. Congrats on a great find. | HH
    2013 28 Silvers
    2014 6 Silvers, 10 Wheats
    Oldest coin 1899 Barber Quarter
    Fisher F75 LTD, Garrett ProPointer, Springfield 1911
    “Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero”……HORACE

Now that's a great way to kick off 2012.
    I love it when a Barber quarter comes out of the ground.
    Congrats Dinger51.

Beautiful Barber!! Congrats!
    Metal Detector: Teknetics Omega 8000

congrats on the barber they are one of the best looking coins out there to be found dennis

Thanks for all the comments and tips. Tim, I used your tip yesterday at an old house and walked away from 3 spots. I did find clad, 3 Wheaties and a 64 Rosy The Rosy had 2 nails in the same hole. I swear I hear the Etrac talking to me Remember I am still a greenhorn (new term I have been using due to too much reality t.v.) with the Etrac. I have permission to hunt 7 old houses in town all dated back to 1850's. I am sure that these places will be square nail heaven. Pretty confident in the machine now....

Congrats on the Barber quarter! It's a great find. I love the way they look, such a great coin and such a great feeling to pull out of the hole and hold in your hand again.

Keep em coming!
    Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 probe
    White's SM2
    White's SM PI pro

Check out my treasure hunting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSilverFiend

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Si...03270629825473

http://www.thesilverfiend.com