Thread: one silver coin

one silver coin

This past week I have finally been able to hunt for the first time in about 2 months. As many of you probably know, the snow has been unusually heavy here in the DC area. Last year we were able to hunt all winter.

Had about 4 outings in the usual woods and local parks. Came up with about $10 in clad total , about 20 wheaties,(no pics), and a few interesting items:

I found what I thought was an old nickle. It was pretty coated with mud and I rubbed it a little. Saw that it had a rim and figured no nickle, probably a small lid or cap of some sort. After getting home and washing it off, it turns out it IS a nickle.

Obverse. Note how the inside is decayed with the rim still intact.

Face of coin. It is a buffalo:

I found this handle today in the woods. It looks and shines like silver but there is no mark. When I saw the design I figured it was a utensil handle but then realized how thick it is. Tried a magnet and it does not stick.

Side view:

Please don't kick me off the board Angel. I only managed one silver coin all week. A 1940 merc.
    I promise I will do better next time. lol

Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Golden Sabre II, Tesoro Cutlass II µMax, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro pointer
    Oldest coin, 1732 King George II Halfpenny

Re: one silver coin

Actually... I believe its a magicians coin... I dug a wheatie like this and a dime fits in perfectly for tricks...

Paul
    2013 Totals: 4 Coppers 37 Silver Coins 18 Indian Heads 4 V Nickels 5 Buffalos 137 Wheaties 4 Sterling Items
    Website: http://www.ctdirtfisher.com YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CtDirtFisher

You're ahead of me for the year! Congrats on the silver -- take it as it comes! thumbsup01 I love finding buffs, but I don't dig enough midtones Spring is on its way
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Are you kidding? lol Mercs make for great finds, even when there is only one. I have returned home many a times with just one and was happy as a lark. lol That utensil handle sure looks like it may be silver. It does look heavy too.

Nice finds, glad to hear the snow has melted for you. thumbsup01
    White's Spectra V3i "update", MXT, Prizm V, and Sun Ray Invader DX-1.
    Coils: stock 950 on MXT; 10" DD, Super 12, 950 Eclipse, and 4x6 DD Eclipse Shooter for the V3.

"The only person who never made a mistake never did anything!!"

I can't believe you are even hunting lol DC got slammed this year I figured you guys would be in the ice age for another month lol Nice hunt and I agree that Buffalo must be something other than a regular issue. A magician coin is a good guess or maybe it was hollowed out on one side for some kind of insert (political or advertising?). And only one silver?? That's 100% more than I have this month
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Here is the penny version of your buffalo I dug last year...
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    2013 Totals: 4 Coppers 37 Silver Coins 18 Indian Heads 4 V Nickels 5 Buffalos 137 Wheaties 4 Sterling Items
    Website: http://www.ctdirtfisher.com YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CtDirtFisher