View Poll Results: What do you most want to find when you hunt?? What item from below, would make your hunt, a great on

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jewelry(Rings, bracelets,etc)

4 11.11%
  • Relics(Bullets,Buttons,Buckles)

3 8.33%
  • Silver Coins(Seated,Mercs,Rosie,Capped,Barbers,etc)

12 33.33%
  • Coppers(Colonial Coins, Large Cents, Half cents)

8 22.22%
  • Gold Coin (Quarter Eagle, Half Eagle,Double Eagle)

9 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: What do you most want to find when you hunt??

What do you most want to find when you hunt??

Im just curious what peoples mindsets are when they power their machines up, and start swinging their coils. Do you have something in your head that you really really want to find to make your hunt, a successful one? Thanks for looking and voting in my poll.
    We are not here for a long time, We are here for a good time. Happy Hunting!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Oldest coins: 1690's William III Copper
    1787 N J Copper, 1787 Ct Copper
    massdirtfisher@gmail.com

Re: What do you most want to find when you hunt??

hey Tim you probably know this but for me a successful hunt is atleast 1 colonial coin and a few relics wether they be buttons , buckles or something interesting with some history to it. a very good hunt would be a state copper or two ( mass , connecticut or fugio copper or early draped bust LC.) and a decent relic like a complete shoe buckle or nice early military button .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

A flat button is a step above a skunking....a dandy, indian head, tombac, sash buckle or some relic like that is second tier . Third tier - barbers, etc. Top shelf - large coppers etc.
    This is just off the top of my head....it could change with my mood. :-\
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Tim, we have hunted together a few times and I have to say that most anything I find tends to get me excited, though not like Rob. I always have a wish list in my mind, which by doing so I sometimes feel that I am setting myself up for disappointment. So that being said I have voted for all 5 categories. I'm an easy going guy so I will be happy with what ever works its way under my coil.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

I still get a thrill from the old coppers, Nothing says old like a Large Cent I know there are more valuable coins but they still give me a great feeling. When I started detecting the things I wanted to find the most were Indian Heads, Barber Coins and Large Cents. Now I have not found a pre 1900 Silver so that is a goal this year for me, would love to find a seated coin of course. My favorite find of all time is a 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent. Really like tokens too.
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Anything but a nail.......I'm not too fired up on nails. Hahaha
    2013 28 Silvers
    2014 6 Silvers, 10 Wheats
    Oldest coin 1899 Barber Quarter
    Fisher F75 LTD, Garrett ProPointer, Springfield 1911
    “Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero”……HORACE

A few keepers in the left pouch...
    • [li]Toys/Relics[/li]
      [li]Buttons[/li]
      [li]Buckles[/li]
      [li]Victorian/Colonial Coins[/li]

As long as I'm at a location and I'm isolating targets to recover.... I'm happy... If you spend 3-6 hours working... there will be a few keepers there... Sometimes they are note worthy... sometimes its a few small buttons and a nice forged nail or two...

Paul
    2013 Totals: 4 Coppers 37 Silver Coins 18 Indian Heads 4 V Nickels 5 Buffalos 137 Wheaties 4 Sterling Items
    Website: http://www.ctdirtfisher.com YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CtDirtFisher

One readable large cent would make my day.A gold coin would make me go nutzo LOL.I am not that greedy,so a large cent would be cool.
    "I'm Your Huckle Bearer"

There's nothing gets my heart going quicker than the glint of gold being exposed from the ground whether it's jewelry or coins. There's nothing prettier (after looking a tons of clad) than the art of older coins. They sure put out some beauties back in the days. There's nothing more beautiful to my ears than any signal I get swinging my detector. What a rush!
    Digger of dirt and proud of it

I like finding silver coins the best especially when I find one older than I am lol . I seem to do better at finding everything else though . I can't even imagine finding a gold coin .

I like finding items with a date from manufacturing on. Like coins, (dog)tags, token and so on. If it has some value, all right, but I take also the worthless, like the 10 Pfennig from 1942 in extra bad shape from yesterday. But you can read the date, the nomination and see the eagle. The only gleam of hope at the end of a 2 hr hunt.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff link=topic=9305.msg104922#msg104922 date=1332201593
    Tim, we have hunted together a few times and I have to say that most anything I find tends to get me excited, though not like Rob.
    A few times?.......Getting so old...he's losing count...either that or the number of times we've been out together...is so marginal compared to the days he's been alive rofl

Low expectations is what happens when you use a White's and not an ETrac rofl lol

At a minimum, I EXPECT a wheat, hope for silver....and pray for OLD...but always happy with something interesting to bring home!
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

I haven't even begun to hunt yet. But I'm basically going to be happy with anything I find. I'm not knowledgeable enough yet to know whats a good find and whats not. But I'm happy with it being a hobby and if I find something valuable all the better!

I like to find trade tokens and local exonumia the most. The list did not include these categories, and so I was unable to cast my vote. Also, it feels so good to be a rebel.
    "It was mad pheromone love over a little full moon entombed, and the people found it hard to understand until they saw for themselves the light pouring forth from a hole in the ground exposing a lonely turned ecstatic murky dime ......." please see me at http://www.youtube.com/user/plehbah

All depends on the site.. silver is always a welcome sight, in a relic area, a keeper is cool.. happydance02
    Someday, I wanna be a vampire

Thanks for voting, and taking the time to post. |
    We are not here for a long time, We are here for a good time. Happy Hunting!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Oldest coins: 1690's William III Copper
    1787 N J Copper, 1787 Ct Copper
    massdirtfisher@gmail.com

Candidate Member

I've been looking for a '43 copper cent since I was 7 years old (1956). Sure would be nice to dig one up. A gold coin would also make my day)
    "Try not, do. Or do not. There is no try!" - YODA

I'm happy if i find one silver coin or just something really cool that i didn't expect.
    But just once i would like to find that jar of coins under the mason jar lid that i dig up. So far i've dug up eight of them and someone took the jar of coins off of all of them!
    2018 silver coins=4
    Silver rings=
    Gold rings=
    Wheats=11
    I.H.=
    Buff=
    Clad=$21.31
    Dollar coins=2
    CTX3030, DFX w/Bigfoot, Beachhunter300, E-Trac.
    Hunting Michigan wet or dry!
    Oldest coin ever = King George II half penny 1729-1754
    Oldest U.S. coin = 1834 L.C.
    Oldest silver ever = 1839 seated half dime