Thread: Watch your step

Watch your step

I got out again tonight and headed back to the woods... my luck is steadily on the decline at this spot. I dug two pennies - a copper memorial and a 1928 wheat - plus a pump organ reed, a salt shaker top, a small piece of buckle, a few large grommets, and a rusty old foothold trap. I started missing the ease of turf hunting... tangling with undergrowth, fallen limbs, downed trees, and uneven terrain is one thing when you are digging some keepers, but not so much fun when you aren't. I'll likely give this spot a break for now and likely head back later in the season. I've hunted this spot 4 times now for a total of about 8 hours. It is some kind of miracle in my mind that I found a nice 1917 Merc in the first five minutes of the first hunt and no silver since. I wonder what the odds of that are?

Happy hunting!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

Re: Watch your step

I feel ya, i have the same poor luck with my areas ive been searching lately
    Hello Wisconsin!

Yikes!!! I would hate to have that rusty deathtrap slam on my foot!! Seems like your in the right area, there has to be some silver there somewhere. Best of luck, and Happy Hunting!!
    We are not here for a long time, We are here for a good time. Happy Hunting!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Oldest coins: 1690's William III Copper
    1787 N J Copper, 1787 Ct Copper
    massdirtfisher@gmail.com

Wood hunting can be difficult but at least you're not dealing with ticks up there >:/. The stuff that you have been pulling (IMO) indicates some real potential. I have to admit that it is a real teaser when the first coin you pull is a silver especially a nice merc.
    Things here have been pretty slow here also. :-\

In any case, for you, I think it's time to go back to your strenght and hit those schools and kiddie areas.
    Good hunting.
    Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

It is funny how that 1st coin was a nice early merc, sort of like a teaser. I also do not like uneven terrain. Give me a nice flat field any day. Maybe when you get back to that spot the merc's sister will show up.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Veteran Member

FWIW, my rule is to give a site two full hard hunts of not finding any deep coins before giving up (assuming I haven't gridded the place out).
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

Cool finds I really like the trap. It would make an ice display in my man cave. WTG

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Keep sorting through the stuff like that and eventually something very good will happen. Like a gold coin or an involuntary psychiatric hold. I have my money on 'gold coin'.
    "It was mad pheromone love over a little full moon entombed, and the people found it hard to understand until they saw for themselves the light pouring forth from a hole in the ground exposing a lonely turned ecstatic murky dime ......." please see me at http://www.youtube.com/user/plehbah

|! Great bunch of relics! The odds are. That you just happened to swing that coil, over just the right spot. That might have been the only one there. Woods are a little mind blowing sometimes. I make short jaunts, into the woods. Just long enough, before the limbs and brush start to get on my nerves. Good Luck!
    2012 count: 99 silvers, 3 V Nickels, 4 War Nickles, 2 Gold Rings, 17 Silver Rings, 6 Buffallo Nickels,2 silver braclets, silver cross: 2013 1 Silver, 2 Silver rings, 1 Sterling Neckless with heart charm