Thread: ** UPDATE -Farm Hunt Cont. Two Colonial Silver, Barber Quarter, & silver jewelry

** UPDATE -Farm Hunt Cont. Two Colonial Silver, Barber Quarter, & silver jewelry

Hello all!

The hunt continuted this am... but I needed 2 more layers on top and a knit hat to keep me warm... It was mid to upper 40's, but windy, grey, and sprinked all am...

I had recovered 3.25 coppers, ball, buttons, buckle parts, etc... I wanted to find some silver... spanish... PUH-LEASE :-)

In in the first thirty minutes I only had one signal... a small button... Then... 9/30 10/31 11/30... and it was not a bang bang signal, but I knew it was a target and thought it was a thicker button, or copper projectile casing... I recovered the target and it was small and thin... still looked like a button as it had dark color layer from the farm field... I wiped it... SILVER !!

I could see the 1772 right off... and oh-boy it is thin... and worn... I fished my Wish !!

Rain, Cold, pfffffttt... Who cares now

20 minutes later.... solid 12/41 @ 2

Mystery object.. I don't see a makers mark or hallmark... but it is pretty twisted up...

The final silver object was a solid 12/46 @ 5... After yesterday hitting that Cap Liberty... I was oh so carefull to pin point and dig it like it was colonial :-)

Its a beautiful 1904 Barber Quarter....

I swung for another 30 minutes... 3 hours in.. I was cold and wet and had a 3.5 hour drive home... But it was a drive home with a smile on my face...

Paul

** UPDATE:

While going through the finds... Turns out that one of the buttons was not a button... Exactly the same sizer as a half reale... and lots of boiling water and baking soda on tin foil... and some TLC cleaning.... Looks like a 2nd undated half reale...

Thanks for looking...
    Paul
    2013 Totals: 4 Coppers 37 Silver Coins 18 Indian Heads 4 V Nickels 5 Buffalos 137 Wheaties 4 Sterling Items
    Website: http://www.ctdirtfisher.com YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CtDirtFisher

Re: Farm Hunt Cont... Colonial Silver, Barber Quarter, and silver jewelry...

wow that barber is mint
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

A silver coin from 1772 is the stuff dreams are made of!

Thin or not, it's still a real beauty, Paul! Very identifiable with a clear date!

And I agree with Dan, that Barber Quarter was dropped when it was brand new! Virtually no wear on it at all! Gorgeous!

Congrats on the wonderful hunt! |)
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

Great hunt Paul!! | that barber quarter is beauty, but the 1700's coin would make my year. A big congrats.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Quote Originally Posted by del link=topic=9389.msg105721#msg105721 date=1332720854
    wow that barber is mint
    Hey Dan... Yes the Barber is in a little better shape that the reale...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent link=topic=9389.msg105730#msg105730 date=1332722797
    A silver coin from 1772 is the stuff dreams are made of!

Thin or not, it's still a real beauty, Paul! Very identifiable with a clear date!

And I agree with Dan, that Barber Quarter was dropped when it was brand new! Virtually no wear on it at all! Gorgeous!

Congrats on the wonderful hunt! |)
    I agree Tony... I traveled down with the goal of a few coppers and colonial Silver... and I lucky enough to get my coil over the desired objects...

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Fighter 43 link=topic=9389.msg105733#msg105733 date=1332723118
    Great hunt Paul!! | that barber quarter is beauty, but the 1700's coin would make my year. A big congrats.
    Hey Fire Fighter... I agree... the Barber is BEE-YOU-TEE-FULL! and I'm happy to have it as the last recovered target...

Thank you!

Paul
    2013 Totals: 4 Coppers 37 Silver Coins 18 Indian Heads 4 V Nickels 5 Buffalos 137 Wheaties 4 Sterling Items
    Website: http://www.ctdirtfisher.com YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CtDirtFisher

Man, you guys are killing me with these Barber Quarters! The most beautiful coin ever made. And a quarter at that. One that is on my wish list! One day, maybe. Congrats on some mighty sweet finds. Thanks for sharing and HH |
    2013 28 Silvers
    2014 6 Silvers, 10 Wheats
    Oldest coin 1899 Barber Quarter
    Fisher F75 LTD, Garrett ProPointer, Springfield 1911
    “Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero”……HORACE

That Barber is mint, full liberty and the ribbon showing. Nice going on the spanish silver also.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

WoW!! Amazing finds!! That quarter is cherry! Congrats!!!
    Metal Detector: Teknetics Omega 8000

! Congrats on the finds! Beautiful Barber Quarter. Now thats what I'm looking for |)!!
    2012 count: 99 silvers, 3 V Nickels, 4 War Nickles, 2 Gold Rings, 17 Silver Rings, 6 Buffallo Nickels,2 silver braclets, silver cross: 2013 1 Silver, 2 Silver rings, 1 Sterling Neckless with heart charm

Going through the finds... one of the buttons is not a button :-)

I have a 2nd 1/2 reale... Working on turning it from crappy black back to something more recognisable...

Its in rough shape... but still Spanish Silver !! Two for the weekend... <:

P.S. Pictures coming soon...

what a great hunt ! finding silver that old has got to be a huge rush ! and that barber is excellent !! <: <:
    If at first you don't succeed, get the Government to Bail you out !

You are in metal detectorist's paradise congratulations on sampling some of it's finer goodies . |

Re: ** UPDATE -Farm Hunt Cont. Two Colonial Silver, Barber Quarter, & silver jewelry

I totaly agre that those are (reale) nice finds. Definately not the steel wool type. Congrats.

Re: ** UPDATE -Farm Hunt Cont. Two Colonial Silver, Barber Quarter, & silver jewelry

Great finds, congrats!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Now thatis a killer hunt !
    Someday, I wanna be a vampire