As luck would have it my new Detech coil showed up just prior to the weekend that my Wife, and I had scheduled for Spring clean-up.

So no time for a big hunt. >:\

I did manage a couple of hours down at the old park 3 blocks from my house, and the yard and garden look great as well. lol

Let me start by saying the 13 coil is huge! Oddly enough there is no discernible weight difference from the stock 11 coil. This size difference will make it a challenge in tight places, but out in the open you should not be able to tell a difference. Initially I strapped on the coil and headed for the 5 year old coin garden in front of my house. There is a lot of EMI here, and as promised the coil handled it better than the stock coil. I was easily able to see even the deepest targets.

First observation:

*** With the factory coil I can run at 19 and maintain stability. I can just barely get a blip from a Wheat buried at 10 inches.

*** With the new Ultimate 13 coil I can maintain stability at 21, and the 10 inch wheat just sings out with a solid hit.

Second observation:

The hits are more accurately represented without the jumpiness and exaggerated VDI responses. This was noticeable right away, especially at depth. Without question this coil is better in a high EMI hunting envirnment.

My biggest concern was loosing sensitivity in the trash, and deep iron. In short order I found this to be no problem. This was a pleasant and welcome surprise. The video below will show some targets that came out of the hole with a crimp cap, and nails. Pretty amazing if you think about the size of the coil.

DU13

I was very happy to see this clad dime among the nails!

Any time you can pull a deeper coin around a crimp cap, you are doing OK in the trash.

10 Wheats in very short order from a well hunted area tells me there will be many good finds with this coil.

The coil was very easy to swing. Over the 2 short hunts I did dig a few Wheats at +8 inches with sounded great. You can run this coil a little hotter than stock if you want. This combined with the coil size gives you a better chance in a high EMI scenario, but I found myself running the sensitivity at normal levels out in the parks away from any noise. I did adjust the Threshold Pitch setting down a bit. While the numeric target values are very accurate, the tone seemed a little higher pitched on a clad dime. I backed it down to about 12. I normally use a setting of 15 with the stock coil. This seemed to do the trick. I like to hear a clad dime on the surface just below that sweet sound produce by a lot of silver coins. I am sure I will have a lot more to say about this coil when I get the hunt time.

Jack