Thread: variety of finds makes for a good hunt

variety of finds makes for a good hunt

Today the wife and I were in our usual woods. I found 4 wheaties and one silver merc. Additionally, I found a religious token, an earring, a gold plated ring, and while perusing around an old privy pit, picked up a neat bottle that was sitting on the surface.

The wife didn't have as many finds but what she lacked in quantity, she made up in quality. She had 2 wheaties, an old white jar that she found by the privy pit and an interesting button that looked military and said VMI on it. Turns out it is a civil war era button from the Virginia Military Institute!

Pics:

My coins, the token and the earring.

Ring. It says 12K on the inside but it obviously is plated.

Bottle. I looked it up and found it dates back to the early 1900's

The jar my wife found.

Button. It seems to be in good shape. What you see on it is dirt. My wife didn't want to clean it to hard because there seems to be some of the brass guild still on it.

This is a good example of the button I found on the web.

Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Golden Sabre II, Tesoro Cutlass II µMax, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro pointer
    Oldest coin, 1732 King George II Halfpenny

Re: variety of finds makes for a good hunt

I agree. A good day out, usually has lots of different relics. Finding all coins would be great, except that you would never learn anything else about the hobby or your area's history. I'll take any relic I can. They add up over the years. Nice collections are not made in one outing, they take years. Looks like you two did good, even finding some non metal finds. That is a geat button. Who knows, you may even take up bottle digging lol
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

yes it looks like a very good and interesting hunt you both had , your bottle looks definately after a.b.m. (1903) and it looks like your wifes milk glass is probably a cold cream jar . i agree with Coinnut the button is an extremely good one . congrats to ya both . thumbsup01
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Looks like a great hunt and I'm sure you had fun... THank you for taking us along and grads on the finds :-)

Paul
    2013 Totals: 4 Coppers 37 Silver Coins 18 Indian Heads 4 V Nickels 5 Buffalos 137 Wheaties 4 Sterling Items
    Website: http://www.ctdirtfisher.com YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CtDirtFisher

That is a very nice button. I like detecting in the woods. It's peaceful, and though targets tend to be few, they are usually old ones. Good hunt!

Thanks for sharing some super finds Bill!!
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

Great woods hunt with some interesting finds. I hunt the woods often, since I am a cache hunter. Old rock walls and cellar holes. One day I will hit the big one. RickO
    Spectra V3, DFX, Surf Dual PI, Surf Pro, GMT, TDI, DX-1, Coiltek, Pistol Probe, Bullseye, Hot Shot coil, Spider Coil, 4x6 coil, 14 DD, D2, some others... Garrett Wall Detector