Thread: Barber Dime and Mercs

Barber Dime and Mercs

Late in the morning I took a drive to a park a short distance from the one I have been working the past few days. I had hoped to spend a few hours there before heading back to the small park. Unfortunately, though, the ground at that park had apparently been redone a few years back. It's too bad as the place had looked promising. I then took off to the second park. Once there I got busy working another section and after a while I dug up my first silver of the day, a 1941 mercury dime. It was slow going after that find, digging mostly junk, clad, and several wheat cents. But in the end I ended up with seven silver dimes before heading home.

A 1941 mercury dime. I like the way they look while still covered in soil.

Another one, dated 1917.

And another, dated 1944.

My total silver take for the day.

I also dug up a sterling silver 'H', and a religious pendant.

And yet more wheat cents.

HH!

Re: Barber Dime and Mercs

Sweet hunt Angel! That's a great presentation. I really like that picture of the Mercs surrounding the Barber. I have tried to dig a coin to show it still in the dirt like you often show in your post. I think this demonstrates very good digging technique. Getting them out of the ground like that ensures that there will be no damage to the coin. When is that book going to be out?

Keep Swing'in
    Jack
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Another successful hunt. Congrats on 7 more silvers for your hoard . That H thing might be bars for some rank in the military (Lieutenant maybe)??
    White's Spectra V3i "update", MXT, Prizm V, and Sun Ray Invader DX-1.
    Coils: stock 950 on MXT; 10" DD, Super 12, 950 Eclipse, and 4x6 DD Eclipse Shooter for the V3.

"The only person who never made a mistake never did anything!!"

Yup it's a 2nd Lieutenant badge. Here is an eBay item currently going: http://cgi.ebay.com/Sterling-2nd-Lie...item255917aafd

If it's made of silver... and your with in arms reach of that area...you got it!!
    Another awesome hunt!
    Congrats
    I still think we need a daily silver ticker total in your signature

I told him today that he needs to stop finding other letters and find me a silver 'A'

It doesn't really look like an 'H', Angel. I guess everyone else has already identified it.

Nice barber and mercs. I especially like the barber, but you already knew that

Quote Originally Posted by xzlr8n View Post
    Another successful hunt. Congrats on 7 more silvers for your hoard . That H thing might be bars for some rank in the military (Lieutenant maybe)??
    HA! That was first thought as well, but you beat me to the post! Great stuff Angel!

Thanks, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSage View Post
    Sweet hunt Angel! That's a great presentation. I really like that picture of the Mercs surrounding the Barber. I have tried to dig a coin to show it still in the dirt like you often show in your post. I think this demonstrates very good digging technique. Getting them out of the ground like that ensures that there will be no damage to the coin. When is that book going to be out?

Keep Swing'in
    Jack
    Thanks, Jack! I do like the way silver contrasts against the soil, or when the reeded edge sneaks a peek through the soil. They do make for nice photos.

Quote Originally Posted by xzlr8n View Post
    Yup it's a 2nd Lieutenant badge. Here is an eBay item currently going: http://cgi.ebay.com/Sterling-2nd-Lie...item255917aafd
    Nice! Thank you, xzlr8n. When I first saw the target the first thing that popped to my mind was the letter H. Good ID!

Great ID on that H thingy Another good silver day. I think we all forget there are wheats to go with that silver. So when you gonna give us a wheaty and silver count?? Or are you gonna make us trudge through old post to tally it up ourselves

Well done Angel, nice silver haul... RickO
    Spectra V3, DFX, Surf Dual PI, Surf Pro, GMT, TDI, DX-1, Coiltek, Pistol Probe, Bullseye, Hot Shot coil, Spider Coil, 4x6 coil, 14 DD, D2, some others... Garrett Wall Detector