Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What 'comments' have you heard while detecting?

What 'comments' have you heard while detecting?

I'm sure we've all had some doozies... here's a couple to start lol

Yesterday I was hunting next to a ball park where 10 yr old boys were playing baseball. They yelled hey there's no gold over there lady yo woman, you're wasting your time All the gold is in California oh, it went on and on... I just ignored them, playing deaf under my headphones, but was chuckling to myself.

Teachers outside an elementary school teasing me- asking if I was looking for lost lunch money...

But it's not always funny. Last fall I was HARASSED by a group of 8 yr old boys on a playground! They thought I was homeless, trying to find spare change for food. They said ooh ooh I think there's a penny right HERE...
    I tried to explain it's a hobby and that I had 2 kids at home. They threw change on the ground and told me to go buy my kids some toys, followed me around, asking questions, seemed interested for a little bit, wanted to try it out (I refused, didn't trust them) They got sillier, egging eachother on. When a boy peed off the top of the jungle gym (off to the side-not at me- they were all laughing...)

I had tried to ignore them, but that was the last straw.

I walked abruptly over to the group and told them Hey, I used to work with juevenile deliquents and prison inmates and they all started out as bullies- just like you guys---you just think about that and then walked to my car. I find myself avoiding groups of kids now. lol

Anyone else need to vent?
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Re: What 'comments' have you heard while detecting?

yeah i get the name calling all the time :bangahead01: geek boy you look stupid get a job and a few more as well , but i persevere and ignore it to a point and then i tell Coinnut and the Wife to grow up and leave me alone . lol lol rofl rofl

and that usually works for a bit
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    yeah i get the name calling all the time :bangahead01: geek boy you look stupid get a job and a few more as well , but i persevere and ignore it to a point and then i tell Coinnut and the Wife to grow up and leave me alone . lol lol rofl rofl

Hmmm.... seems I need to turn up the heat on ya lol I remember way back in ancient times (@1976) the old guys would look over at me digging in the park and ask you looking for worms kid? I would tell them, No, I'm looking for money and they would always laugh at me and walk away. I was hassled a bit by other kids at parks, but not much. Things were calmer back then. Now, you can probably get shot for your machine in the wrong park. That is why we detect woods - NO KIDS rofl but there are Wolves
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

then i tell Coinnut and the Wife to grow up and leave me alone . lol lol rofl rofl

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Hmmm.... seems I need to turn up the heat on ya lol
    You guys are a trip! Thanks for the laughs...
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Okay I'm off to hunt another playground (taking my boys).

Yep, I'll prob have a new story to tell tonight... :-\ lol

Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

I have been asked if my MD was a geiger counter and also if I was looking for mines. lol RickO
    Spectra V3, DFX, Surf Dual PI, Surf Pro, GMT, TDI, DX-1, Coiltek, Pistol Probe, Bullseye, Hot Shot coil, Spider Coil, 4x6 coil, 14 DD, D2, some others... Garrett Wall Detector

This is not a bad thing, but cute.

I was hunting a local park and a very nice little girl about seven years old came over from where mom & dad were laying on a blanket. She asked me the usual whatcha doin? questions...just about the time that a quarter hit my headset.

I told her I was finding money, and my detector just told me there was a quarter about three inches deep. I asked her if she wanted to watch me dig it up. Dad nodded his head, and she said Sure!!!

I dug up the clad quarter and she was amazed. I gave her the quarter, saying something like That's your first buried treasure. She ran over to show her parents and I kept on swinging.

About three minutes later, she came over and asked, Hey Mister...do metal detectors ever lie?

To which I replied, Sweetie, this one lies all the time. I thought dad was gonna bust a gut.
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

Those are funny. lol I've had my share of questions asked too, all variations of what has been said. When detecting at the beach the nuisance tends to be teenagers, or even older guys, throwing pennies ahead of me to find.

Great stories lol People can be so rude. It can be humiliating, but I just remind myself that it's not personal.... I think the headphones make people more brave to say stuff, thinking you can't hear them.

I ran into a guy metal detecting in the park today, asked him if he gets harassed often. He said yeah, mostly asking if he'd found any pennies yet, with a smirk...

Then he said with the kids he tends to just give them 'something to remember him by'. I was shocked and said like- flipping them the bird? rofl He cracked up, said no giving them what he dug- penny or nickel lol
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

I have had the usual heckling while I was in open areas.While doing an open area I was told by someone that I was potting.Now from what I understand potting is a sort of grave robbing or stealing.As far as being approached by kids I turn my detector off and leave.There are too many perverts and child molesters on the loose and I don't what any part of being blamed for any wrong doing.....the law seems to listen to the kid.This is why I love to hunt in the woods,the only heckling comes from the moron you are hunting with.
    For every relic that rots away........a piece of history is lost.

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    This is why I love to hunt in the woods,the only heckling comes from the moron you are hunting with.
    So you hunt with Del and Coinnut huh? lol

I'd never thought about that- being a man and kids surrounding you... esp just one kid. That's a good point. Being a woman I don't have to worry about that I guess.

I'm not sure who's more irritating, groups of little kids wanting to try out my MD (If it's just one or two, I'll let them swing it), or the older guys flirting with me, asking me to find the revolutionary cannon ball he lost last year or such.
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

As far as being approached by kids I turn my detector off and leave. There are too many perverts and child molesters on the loose and I don't what any part of being blamed for any wrong doing.....the law seems to listen to the kid.
    I'm amazed at how poorly some parents watch their kids. I've had children as young as five come up to me when detecting with no parent in sight. When that happens, I immediately head for the nearest populated area.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowjiber View Post
    About three minutes later, she came over and asked, Hey Mister...do metal detectors ever lie?

To which I replied, Sweetie, this one lies all the time. I thought dad was gonna bust a gut.
    rofl that's a good one John Did you explain the similiarity between rings and pop tabs? I actually do enjoy little kids, when they're curious and friendly... I've had MANY kids say they want metal detectors after hanging out with me- hearing my schpeil about the mystery of the hunt and the 'potential financial gain' lol
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

A few years back,
    I was detecting in a local park and I usually keep a close eye on my suroundings because some of them are not the most friendly places... I noticed an older woman with a cane kept watching me and She had this mad look on her face. After about ten minutes of watching me, She started walking slowly over towards me. My first thought was that she was going to start fussing at me for some reason or another so I just kept on hunting and prepared for the worst.

She walked straight up to me and I looked up at her and she was holding out her hand. I just reached up to see what could it be that she was handing me..... She gave me a dollar bill!!! I was in such shock and loss for words that by the time I looked up again to tell her I didnt need it, She was already walking away.

It may be a bad thing but at the time it took me by such surprise that I just put the dollar in my pocket and went on....

This is why I love to hunt in the woods,the only heckling comes from the moron you are hunting with.

Quote Originally Posted by tanacat View Post
    How'd ya guess?? rofl

Quote Originally Posted by magic View Post
    She gave me a dollar bill!!! I was in such shock and loss for words that by the time I looked up again to tell her I didnt need it, She was already walking away.
    What is it about metal detecting that makes people think they are poor, homeless, looking for change for foodthinkingabout: Don't they know that you have to have some moola to purchase a detector?

Okay Okay, I admit that even I used to think it was simply a way to pass time and find spare change for retired people. That's usually who I saw metal detecting! But I also knew it could be lucrative, finding jewelry too.
    I've always wanted one though....

It'd be nice to change the stigma, but how? Oh well...
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

It'd be nice to change the stigma, but how? Oh well...
    It's funny. When I go detecting, I usually drive my Jeep. However, when I pull a metal detector out of my E-Class Mercedes, I get some funny looks.

We just gotta quit wearing plaid shorts and argyle socks.

the only heckling comes from the moron you are hunting with.

wow , that just ain't right . lol lol lol
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by Lowjiber View Post
    We just gotta quit wearing plaid shorts and argyle socks.
    Even my hubby is guilty of it. When I decided to get headphones he said &quoth, now you're REALLY gonna look like a nerd... rofl rofl rofl

I think he was kinda joking, but kinda being rigorously honest Oh well I don't care what I look like, I love hunting!

Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

wow , that just ain't right . lol lol lol
    You are correct Del. THAT AIN'T RIGHT! So I fixed it to read correctly

So you hunt with Del huh? lol
    Looks much better, don't ya think?? rofl