Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What 'comments' have you heard while detecting?

Re: What 'comments' have you heard while detecting?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowjiber View Post
    We just gotta quit wearing plaid shorts and argyle socks.
    Howdy Lowjiber!
    That's an image that's gonna take awhile to recover from!
    And I gotta try to get to sleep tonight with that in my head!

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin
    Quarters = 123
    Nickels = 60
    Dimes = 104
    Pennies = 246
    Half Dollars =
    Dollar Coins = 3
    Total Coins = 535
    Gold Sale 2/5/13 = $25.50
    YTD = $73.21

Its Going to be a Shpadoinkle Day!

Gunning for Gold!

One kid was watching me then asked his mother if he could have a dime............he came over and handed me the dime and told me I could have it since I was looking for change. I traded him a quarter for it.

I have had pennies thrown in front of me many times. One time I had found a clad half and 4 pre-teens threw some pennies in front of where I was searching. I dug one and showed them the half dollar and told them Hey thanks !!!! I bet they were looking at each other wondering which one they thought threw the half.
    Robbie
    author of "Find More Silver Coinshooting Parks and Schools" by Robbie Morin
    contributor to- Camp Logan: Houston, Texas 1917-1919-by Louis Aulbach, Linda Gorski and Robbie Morin

Kids are generally fine... I only had one scary time and that was when the local group home took the MR kids out to the playground. One was about 15 and had HUGE arms. He tried to grab my Lesche and I had to tell him no. That was scary, but he calmed down and watched me after that. About 5 min later their group leader gathered everyone up to go.

Mom's however, are not. Especially stupid ones.

I had one lady, er... soccer mom, holler at me that I should put the knife away because there were kids on the playground. I simply took it and said it's not a knife and pushed my Lesche hard into my thigh and sliced across it like it was a knife and said it doesn't have an edge. It's a digging tool. and her eyes about popped out thinking there was going to be blood. She shut up after that and I kept popping quarter after quarter out from under the rope ladder.

One time I had my DFX out at the beach on South Padre Island and had a kid that just kept on & on with questions. She asked if she could try the detector and I said ask your dad since she seemed old enough (about 12) to handle it. Dad was about 25 feet away and was watching so he came over with her to see how it worked. I gave her the 15 second tour of instructions and she started off with it... but while she wasn't looking dad was dropping quarters where she'd find them. That girl found 4 quarters and was ecstatic.
    If you're ever around Dallas and want to do some treasure hunting give me a shout!

Veteran Member

one time i was in a park and this drunk guy followed me around for at 5 minutes . i got in my car and left. it was 9 am.. i have had the recurring question have you found ant arroheads. ive been asked that about 5 times or so . i dont get it. arrowheads are stone predominately . especially here in cherokee and creek nation area of GA.. some people ask what are you looking for . or have you found anything.. no mordechai stories here
    im an american proud and free, a son of the south dont tread on me

Times sure have changed and in my opinion it was a lot better back when I was a kid, I feel that I was very fortunate to be a baby boomer era generation, ah yes the good old days. I use to read boys life when I was a kid and use to drool over the metal detector ads.

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post

On my most recent detecting trip (today) I was approached by a woman and her dog... she was around 60, and looked really irritated. She asked me in a very nasty tone if I had permission to be 'digging up the parks'. (I had to this point dug no holes at all, as I had just arrived). I told her I had permission to metal detect, then she basically repeated her question in another nasty tone. It just came out... I wasn't in the best mood anyway.... I said What... are you the park police? Then I gave her a copy of my permit to detect in the city limits. She looked at it and then walked off with her dog.
    I had a similar experience some time ago. After the woman finished her rant I walked over to a picnic table, got out my camera and had a seat. About two minutes later she let the dog run free and use the park as it's own personal rest stop.

The woman noticed me taking photos of her and the dog. When she began complaining about her privacy rights I gave her a copy of park regulations regarding the leash law and removal of dog waste. I let her know I was going to forward the video and photos on to the Parks Department as well as the Sheriff's office.

I told her that those agencies would be more than happy to explain her rights under the law.

I haven't seen her since.

Quote Originally Posted by ec121connie View Post
    I had a similar experience some time ago. After the woman finished her rant I walked over to a picnic table, got out my camera and had a seat. About two minutes later she let the dog run free and use the park as it's own personal rest stop.

The woman noticed me taking photos of her and the dog. When she began complaining about her privacy rights I gave her a copy of park regulations regarding the leash law and removal of dog waste. I let her know I was going to forward the video and photos on to the Parks Department as well as the Sheriff's office.

I told her that those agencies would be more than happy to explain her rights under the law.

I haven't seen her since.
    Sweet! Take your dog and his poop elsewhere lady lol
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Sir your buttcrack is showing. A comment I received while metal detecting from a little old lady.
    Whites mxt sunray probe stock coil 6×10 4×6 Minelab Etrac Garrett pro pointer and other stuff

Sad, but I think in the times we are living in, it might be better to go with others, always saver in numbers

Veteran Member

Question...What are You looking For Sir ?
    Answer ..I'm Looking for Meteorite fragments for the dept of astrophysics
    at the Observatory..That gets them thinking ..
    True sometimes...

Question..Do You ever find anything Good ?
    Answer I founds these Nails and Pull-tabs, oh and the hypodermic Needle over there
    where Your kids are Playing..
    True Story ..

Question ..A Lady asked..That looks fun ..Do You find interesting things with it ?
    Answer ..Right then I found a Live .30-06 round close to the Kids playing on the Beach..
    She was astounded and thankful..big time ..
    True Story

And My favorite ...I knew You'd find it ..thank You..
    True

And I once got called to the Hospital where My Wife works ..A Lady lost Her Camera after giving birth
    and had all the Birth Pic's on it .. it was lost in all the Laundry....we rolled the Big Box with all the Laundry
    bags down the hall and out side .On the third Bag I found it ..Beep.. I pointed at the Bag ..and the Camera
    was found , Happy Hospital staff and New Mom.. A Very Happy ending
    True Story

Haven't had any Bad experiences Yet ..

Dave
    V3i DFX 10 DD 6x10 DD 4x6 DD DX-1

Candidate Member

After buying the Etrac I had started going back to places that were hunted out with the older detectors. This area was an old swimming area (sandy) in a state park. It had been heavily hunted by others and myself. Over the years they would bring in more sand and freshen the beach area. So I had been on site for approx 1hr. There was an older couple that had shown up about the time I did and had been watching me search. I was digging anything that showed coin on the CO value. Clad money was within the first 3-4 but the wheats and silver were DEEEP. After about 1hr they had seen me dig some deeep holes (8+) and they got up and came over as I started digging a 13-43 that showed 10 on the meter. The gentleman ask me if i was having any luck. At this point I had about 4 wheats and 4 mercs in one pocket and the new money in another pocket. I pulled out the new coins and handed them over.( I never like showing the old stuff) As they were looking them over I kept digging and by the time they finished looking I had my hand wrist deep in the ground. He then tells me how he had hunted this site clean years ago and all I would find was new stuff. He looked at the hole and said son if you are digging that deep you missed it. I said well lets see and unplugged my earphones and re pinpointed - dead bottom of the hole. I took a couple more good digs out of the bottom and by now I am mid forearm deep....as I start pulling the loose sand out and waving it in front of the detector he again makes the missed it comment. No sooner than he said that than the next handful &quotEEPS and I start separating the dirt. That little rascal just lays open as pretty as you please, a 1942 Merc and I swear it must have been lost its second day in circulation! LOL I hand it to him and he just turns it over and looks at it is disbelief. At this point I pull the others out and show those to him. He looks them over quiet as a mouse then ask What kind of detector is that? Minelab Etrac I replied.....and his wife(without missing a beat) goes I think you better get one of those or quit! It was all I could do not to wet my pants. He hands the coins back tells me good luck and they left.
    I either sold an Etrac or retired a detectorist!
    Minelab E-Trac - Sunray probe

You can have my E-Trac when you pry it from my cold dead hand!

Thought I'd bump this thread for the funny stories and the chance for people to add some new

I've enjoyed reading back over these lol I'll have to think about it to add some more myself... one quick one is the sorority girls who thought I was nuts digging in their front yard of Victorian rental house - the landlord had given me permission but neither of us had informed them. Oops! And they for sure thought I needed to get a life. I could feel it and see it in their facial expressions as they each walked past me going to their classes over a few hours time and how they kept peeking out the curtains. I felt like they were making fun of me, maybe my imagination, but probably not...

At one point I was kneeling next to the sidewalk with a beautiful 1890 IH in my hand and so happy | and showed it to one of the girls walking by at that time (proving that I wasn't just looking for clad pennies) but she was like ooh wow neato, rolled her eyes and walked on. Oh well... like I said in a recent post, some people just don't understand our passion. And that's okay. thumbsup01
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

The only negative episode I had was at a local beach. I was swinging away and two girls about 8 or 9 came up and asked the usual questions and then just followed me watching. The next thing I know, here comes mom wanting to know why I'm bothering her daughters. I left. One good episode was when I was detecting my cousins bean field. About 2 football fields away I saw 2 fawns. I didn't pay much attention and kept detecting. A couple minutes later I felt something touch my back, and I jumped. There were the 2 fawns looking at me. A couple minutes later they walked off. No idea where mom was, and no camera either.

Quote Originally Posted by whammy link=topic=1030.msg128378#msg128378 date=1353788459
    One good episode was when I was detecting my cousins bean field. About 2 football fields away I saw 2 fawns. I didn't pay much attention and kept detecting. A couple minutes later I felt something touch my back, and I jumped. There were the 2 fawns looking at me. A couple minutes later they walked off. No idea where mom was, and no camera either.
    Wow that's neat Bummer you didn't have a camera -would've made a really nice video Along those lines my hubby and I were hiking to Iceberg Lake in Glacier Park, Montana and came across a grizzy sitting on his rump in the sunshine. And our camera wouldn't turn on lol
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

me and my freind earl were detecting in my home town park when a car pulled up and two kids got out they played for a couple of minutes before they seen us they both came over more curious than anyhing asking questions and offering to help dig when my buddy earl got a good signal dug up the plug and a shiny merc dime pops out the little boy about 6 or 7 years old looks earl right in the eye and says hey mister you gonna put that back we both busted out laughing aND TO THIS DAY WHEN HE MAKES A GOOD FIND I ASK HIM IF HE IS GOING TO PUT IT BACK DENNIS

while in parks ive had more then one person yell at me from there house saying things like lost my rolex let me know if you find it to which i reply if youve got a picture of it ill be sure to look for it
    1 mercury