Thread: Does low battery voltage effect depth?

Candidate Member

Does low battery voltage effect depth?

Rechargeable AA batteries only charge to 1.2 volts. New alkalines are 1.5 volts. Just got me thinking does the battery voltage effect the depth of a detectors ground penetration?

Re: Does low battery voltage effect depth?

hello and welcome to the forum Wvcoinminer , most manufacturers will state that the new machines of today have built in voltage regulators that keep the flow of current at a steady rate to operate the machine at a consistant level. i do know low battery power will make most machines opperate erratically ( false more , emi will affect it more , inconsistant vdi's or tones on targets , ect , ect) therefore affecting its capabilities . i see this behavior inboth my DFX and TDI sl when their batteries are about spent. so i guess if low battery power can affect the machine in such ways as this i don't see how it can't affect the depth in some manner.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Pro pointers seem to act a little peppier with fresh 9v batteries in them but I haven't a clue about a regular detector. However my rather high dollar multi tester disagrees with your 1.2 v assessment of the rechargeable batteries. I run them as backup to the rechargeable pack from Minelab and they read 1.3v after setting a while and above 1.45 fresh out of the charger and that is from three different types of chargers also.

Candidate Member

Thanks