Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What 'comments' have you heard while detecting?

Re: What 'comments' have you heard while detecting?

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    You are correct Del. THAT AIN'T RIGHT! So I fixed it to read correctly

Looks much better, don't ya think?? rofl
    thats it , i'm telling your mom your not playing nice lol lol
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by Lowjiber View Post
    It's funny. When I go detecting, I usually drive my Jeep. However, when I pull a metal detector out of my E-Class Mercedes, I get some funny looks.
    I get that look every time I pull my detector out of the trunk of my Lexus lol

On my most recent detecting trip (today) I was approached by a woman and her dog... she was around 60, and looked really irritated. She asked me in a very nasty tone if I had permission to be 'digging up the parks'. (I had to this point dug no holes at all, as I had just arrived). I told her I had permission to metal detect, then she basically repeated her question in another nasty tone. It just came out... I wasn't in the best mood anyway.... I said What... are you the park police? Then I gave her a copy of my permit to detect in the city limits. She looked at it and then walked off with her dog.

In the past I have had lots of the 'geiger counter' comments. I don't know why. I also get bothered by kids, since moving here to KY (not nearly so much when living in Iowa, for some reason). I ignore them and leave the area.

People approach me all the time trying to ask questions and when they are talking to me, I will point to my headphones and say something like, Got these headphones. Can't hear you!

All that said... I do talk to people who are genuinely interested in the hobby, and not just trying to be irritating or nosy.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

I have yet to be approached by anyone who has had anything but curiosity and questions about what I am doing. I live in a very friendly town I guess. I did however have one very interesting and harassing experience...

I was hunting a busy part of my favorite park. I heard through my headphones the shout from a passing car, Are you finding any gold? I looked up to see three young girls driving by, laughing and obviously making fun of me. I almost said something back and then noticed an open purse on the roof of the car. I smiled and waved. The car turned the corner and speed off at a very reckless speed. I watched the purse spill off the car roof onto the asphalt. They drove off not noticing. I looked back down at the ground and kept swing'in. rofl
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

I once had this flaky Woman come over and try to read me the riot act . She thought my detector was a machine for electrocuting Gophers . rofl

Baba

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbooty View Post
    I once had this flaky Woman come over and try to read me the riot act . She thought my detector was a machine for electrocuting Gophers . rofl
    lol rofl rofl
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Quote Originally Posted by magic View Post
    A few years back,
    I was detecting in a local park and I usually keep a close eye on my suroundings because some of them are not the most friendly places... I noticed an older woman with a cane kept watching me and She had this mad look on her face. After about ten minutes of watching me, She started walking slowly over towards me. My first thought was that she was going to start fussing at me for some reason or another so I just kept on hunting and prepared for the worst.

She walked straight up to me and I looked up at her and she was holding out her hand. I just reached up to see what could it be that she was handing me..... She gave me a dollar bill!!! I was in such shock and loss for words that by the time I looked up again to tell her I didnt need it, She was already walking away.

It may be a bad thing but at the time it took me by such surprise that I just put the dollar in my pocket and went on....

People dont seem to realize how expensive these machines can be. Hell, I just bought a used V3 for twice what I paid for my little truck.

Baba
    You should have lifted it up and pointed it at her and said Gophers? NO, just people
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Baba
    Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    You should have lifted it up and pointed it at her and said Gophers? NO, just people
    rofl rofl rofl Memories of Caddyshack are coming back...

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSage View Post
    I have yet to be approached by anyone who has had anything but curiosity and questions about what I am doing. I live in a very friendly town I guess. I did however have one very interesting and harassing experience...

I watched the purse spill off the car roof onto the asphalt. They drove off not noticing. I looked back down at the ground and kept swing'in. rofl
    Hahahaha that's what they get, them bullies!

Well, like you I live in a pretty friendly town. All in all the majority of people that come to me are curious and friendly. It's a great icebreaker, like having a baby in a stroller or a cute dog on a leash lol

And many swear they're gonna invest in a nice detector. I've even given out business cards for my local White's dealer

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    I said What... are you the park police? Then I gave her a copy of my permit to detect in the city limits.

In the past I have had lots of the 'geiger counter' comments. I don't know why.
    I've gotten several 'geiger' comments too!

So how do you go about getting a permit for the city? LFUCG? You told me you had one for a state park too? Do you just pay a little fee & promise to cover your holes and throw away trash?
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Me and my buddy Mineral Mike were looking at a 1921D Merc dime I had just found when a walker by ask what we were doing. When I told them I had found a mercury dime they got all serious and told me to make sure I did not touch mercury without gloves on. rofl We just looked at each other and then I assured them we had our gloves on.

cb

Minelab X-70, Vibraprobe

Quote Originally Posted by CBnKansas View Post
    Me and my buddy Mineral Mike were looking at a 1921D Merc dime I had just found when a walker by ask what we were doing. When I told them I had found a mercury dime they got all serious and told me to make sure I did not touch mercury without gloves on. rofl We just looked at each other and then I assured them we had our gloves on.

cb
    lol lol He was right. A 1921D is a semi key date. Worth some bucks. I don't think he meant those kind of gloves though rofl
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Candidate Member

the nerd club
    best find's to date. 1859 seated quarter,1864 2 cent,1894 barber quarter.the oldest coin i got is a 50ad-bc50 widow's mite.Garrett pro pinpointer

Mainly the curious kids. The little ones are curious, the teens are harassing. Once I was detecting a playground at a local school early in the morning during summer, I returned the next morning and began finding penny after penny in the sand by the swings (50 total). When I was pulling out of the school I noticed a kid standing in the picture window watching me with smile on his face, I waved and kept going. He obviously watched me the day before. Have had the occasional adult ask if I have found anything good, to which I usually reply Nah mostly just pull tabs and foil lol
    White's DFX...Never enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by toehead View Post
    Have had the occasional adult ask if I have found anything good, to which I usually reply Nah mostly just pull tabs and foil lol
    lol I do the opposite and make sure I have a couple goodies like 1833 LC or silver ring etc.. in my pocket to show off. Mostly good luck charms, but like to show that people don't think pennies is all we are looking for/finding...
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Baba
    Where can I get one of them gopher tazers?!??!?!? darn things are tearing up my yard

About a week ago a woman thought I was weed-eating the median! rofl She was hard of hearing- I realized when I stopped to talk to her, kept asking me to repeat myself...
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

I remember wayyy back when del an I were detecting a park some kid said whatcha lookin for . I said digging for China. lol lol lol
    " What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"

I remember the day Del, myself, and Chris were detecting a nice spot and some lady who did't even own or knew who owned the property was yelling at us . She said this is private property, your stealing, then she went up the road an got her husband. He said he knew the owner but couldn't tell us . Next time we went back there was NO trespassing sign, prolly one she put up. Here we are in the woods and we're getting harrassed.
    " What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"

Candidate Member

I have a nephew that ask and old lady that was wearing a hearing aid if he could look in her yard. He said that after he looked for close to 45 min the lady came out and told him Thanks for weed-eating her lawn and tried to pay him $5.00 for his time.
    Spectra V3i. DFX, Eagle II, Coinmaster 6000, Old Model 220A Metrotech, Eclipse DD1400, Eclipse 6x10, Excelerator 5"DD and 8"DD, Sunray DX-1,

Quote Originally Posted by coinhunter8898 View Post
    I have a nephew that ask and old lady that was wearing a hearing aid if he could look in her yard. He said that after he looked for close to 45 min the lady came out and told him Thanks for weed-eating her lawn and tried to pay him $5.00 for his time.
    rofl rofl rofl Sounds a little like my story- that's HILARIOUS!
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

I've had more than a few people come up and ask if I am looking for gold. I've also had the curious kids wander up alone to watch... I've done what others did and packed up it and moved to a more populated area of the field. At a park this past winter, I had a group fo kids and their mothers follow me for about 15 minutes asking me how it works, what do I find, how do I know if I should dig or not, etc. In the time they watched me, I found 3 pull tubs and an old washer lol.
    Funniest time was when a small kid was being dragged by his parents past me screaming it's not fair he gets to dig! while pointing at me.
    From The Pacific Northwest to Orange County...
    White's XLT, Ace 250 - 2010 YTD $4.28