Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What 'comments' have you heard while detecting?

Re: What 'comments' have you heard while detecting?

Quote Originally Posted by Stang1968 View Post
    Funniest time was when a small kid was being dragged by his parents past me screaming it's not fair he gets to dig! while pointing at me.
    lol Oh man that's a good one!

I've had many ask me if I'm looking for gold too...
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

What time are you coming home. From quess who?
    " What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"

Quote Originally Posted by sjv View Post
    What time are you coming home. From quess who?
    rofl rofl rofl Yep, I totally resemble that comment....
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

I have gotten a few kiddies hang around and curious of what I was doing and asking questions.. never really had anyone say much to me. Except earlier this year, at a park I had a lady come up to me with a nasty snobby look on her face saying I don't think you are to be digging up the grass I replied, well, I called the town they gave me the ok, all the while thinking to myself.. who the hell are you anyways, she just gave me another snobby look and said hmmp and stormed off..

The funniest comment I ever heard was a couple years ago when my hunting buddy was approached by a young lady, she said to him, what are you looking for? He replied, oh, just some coins and jewelry
    She replied, Really, maybe you can help me find my earring I lost..
    He says, where did you lose it at?
    She replied, in my bed
    rofl
    Equipment: Garrett AT Pro

Quote Originally Posted by catskillcomics View Post
    The funniest comment I ever heard was a couple years ago when my hunting buddy was approached by a young lady, she said to him, what are you looking for? He replied, oh, just some coins and jewelry
    She replied, Really, maybe you can help me find my earring I lost..
    He says, where did you lose it at?
    She replied, in my bed
    rofl
    That's great- love it lol So did he take her up on the offer?
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

Oh No no.. but it sure was funny as hell..

but, I never quit understood why people see you out there with earphone its like a signal for them to come talk to you.. you don't do that with people listening to their Ipods and ask them what their listening too..
    Equipment: Garrett AT Pro

Well I might as well share the latest, since you bumped the thread

I shared this in some other thread a while back... a little girl of 9 or 10 yrs sat in a tree watching me what seemed like forever. When I got closer she asked what I was looking for, to which I replied 'old coins and lost jewelry'. She jumped down, dug into the pockets of her pink frilly pants and said 'this is all I have'... She held out a few coins, quarter and some pennies I think. I was like &quoth no no- but that is so nice of you. I tried to explain about it being a hobby, that I had a house and car, my detector cost money... but she still looked at me pitiful and offered the change again lol

Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

Veteran Member

I usually get the curious kids asking all kinds of questions. Once I had a little girl and her smaller brother follow me and ask me what I was doing. I told her i was looking for treasure. I gave her the next penny I found and she ran off to show her mom. Later her mom came over concerned about who I was and why I was talking to her daughter. She was trying to teach her daughter about strangers, etc and said this wasn't ok with her. I smiled and said lady im just out here for some relaxation and your daughter started talking to ME. I thought she was nice so I explained to her what I was doing and gave her the penny when I found one soon after she started following me. She was so excited and clutched it in her hand and ran off to show you. If you were so concerned about your kids where were you for the half hour or so they followed me around? (She was gabbing away with some other moms in a way off place in the park) Then she kind of realized I wasn't some pedophile and walked away with her two kids in a huff >:\ . The little girl kept looking back smiling and waving . So after that kept on hunting .

I bet it is more difficult being a man out there in the parks... Some parents seem leary of me too, around their kids. But most are like 'leave her alone, she doesn't want you bugging her' or apologize for their kids questions. Most people are intrigued by the whole aspect of MDing. Okay, going out to hunt a few hours while hubby watches the rugrats!
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

I live right by a huge city park. I cross the street and start hunting. The park is very old, with some of it dating back to the 1820's. It's the center of recreation for many people. Once I was detecting and a group of middle school girls went by.... they started chanting, Beep, Beeep, Beeeeppp, as they walked past me. One of them said, I have a piece of metal in my a**.... Pretty rude. I told them they should be ashamed to be so trashy mouthed. Other than that, most people leave me alone. They see me every day, so they get used to me. I usually avoid people and just detect the other way until they leave.

Regards, Ken
    Minelab E-Trac, stock coil

Quote Originally Posted by kenfen View Post
    . Once I was detecting and a group of middle school girls went by.... they started chanting, Beep, Beeep, Beeeeppp, as they walked past me. One of them said, I have a piece of metal in my a**.... Pretty rude. I told them they should be ashamed to be so trashy mouthed.
    Regards, Ken
    Hey Ken, I would have said, no that isn't a piece of metal in your a**, that is cupcakes, soda and McDonalds in there. Lose some weight, lose the attitude, and grow up little girls. rofl Kids these days are way ruder than any kid I remember when I was growing up. I ignore people as much as possible, but I always keep one eye on them too.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

You're right, Coinut. They are way ruder. And these are city kids, so they are a bit rough around the edges. I usually just flash my menacing looking digging tool that looks like a huge bayonet, you know the Lesche thing. That usually sends them in the opposite direction. I've never had real trouble, just a rude comment.

Once, a lady with 3 dogs whispered to her husband as I walked by, he's making all the holes in the park... I shot her a dirty look and thought to myself, yeah, the park should be just a place for your mutts to poo and piss in.

It was all worth it this year when I dug up my first 1800's coin. All the little comments melted away. Now I'm bold. I just go do what I do and ignore everyone. LOL

Regards, Ken
    Minelab E-Trac, stock coil

I bumped this thread because there's some really funny stories- thought for sure you new folks would have some to add
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

Veteran Member

I've had mostlyl good expierienecs here in iowa , in my town everybody knows me. small town, , kids tag along ,i give them some clad and let them listen , even in the next town over , dubuque , big town i was in the so called gethoo(SP) area , and the kids and grown ups there just asked how deep does it go and havin any luck, cant say ive had any runs ins , lucky i guess. happy new year
    Minelab E-Track ,Minelab SE, with stock coil, 10/12 sef coil , sunray 8 inch coil

silver count: 2011, 117 silvers , 20 indian heads

I've had really young kids come and ask what i was doing and then how it works. Several times it was three or four kids, brothers and sisters. And sometimes it does seem like forever till a parent shows up to see where their kids are. When my wife and i were detecting a middle school several boys 12-14 showed up and started asking all the regular questions. Then they started digging with their hands or sticks whenever we hit a target. Just to see what we were finding. Several said they were gonna ask for a detector for Christmas. lol
    I had the guy that mows the lawns at the old junior high school (that is now apartments) come over while i was detecting. I thought he was gonna give me crap about digging holes all over. He just asked if i had found anything good. I grabbed the handful of dirty coins in my pouch and said yeah, i'm finding money. I had permission from the owner of the place to hunt the back lot and it had another lot next to the parking area. So i said i would like to be able to hunt there to and he said you can hunt anywhere around here you want. I had a guy and his wife drive by once and ask if i was getting rich. I smiled.
    2018 silver coins=4
    Silver rings=
    Gold rings=
    Wheats=11
    I.H.=
    Buff=
    Clad=$21.31
    Dollar coins=2
    CTX3030, DFX w/Bigfoot, Beachhunter300, E-Trac.
    Hunting Michigan wet or dry!
    Oldest coin ever = King George II half penny 1729-1754
    Oldest U.S. coin = 1834 L.C.
    Oldest silver ever = 1839 seated half dime

That last one I had directed at me was when I was at a beach about a month ago. Some old guy strolled by, and said; If you find a Rolex or a diamond ring, it's mine. I should have shown him the watch I was wearing, and said; As a matter of fact.........
    Tomorrow should be a great day, provided nothing stops me from preventing it from not happening.

Get off my lawn

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl
    Having fun is what it is all about!

rofl rofl rofl Okay Steve you definately won this contest lol Omg that was GREAT thumbsup01

Thanks, I really needed that laugh
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

Quote Originally Posted by RaZR View Post
    I had a guy and his wife drive by once and ask if i was getting rich. I smiled.
    I like the smile, says it all lol I've heard that a few times too...

Quote Originally Posted by Bedrock View Post
    That last one I had directed at me was when I was at a beach about a month ago. Some old guy strolled by, and said; If you find a Rolex or a diamond ring, it's mine. I should have shown him the watch I was wearing, and said; As a matter of fact.........
    lol I love that MDing is such an icebreaker. I'm a people person/ big talker and have met so many people.

Quote Originally Posted by dave in iowa View Post
    I've had mostlyl good expierienecs here in iowa , in my town everybody knows me. small town, , kids tag along ,i give them some clad and let them listen ,
    I bet it's nice living where everyone knows everyone -except when people know all your business right . Our city is about 500,000 & there's good parts and bad parts of course. Definately more positives than negatives when it comes to comments for me...
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

Howdy Folks!
    I have a few tactics I employ to avoid the sort of issues that other people tend to create.
    Among them are some of the things I use to avoid confrontation.

1. I enjoy metal detecting at night, using a good quality headlamp strapped to my skull.
    2. I also tend to avoid times when a tot lot is in use. School tot lots on weekends often works well.
    3. An arsenal of witty retorts is an effective weapon. i.e.

kid: Hey mister, what'cha doing?
    Me: The school hired me to iron the tot lot and they want it all pressed and creased for morning!

Kid: Is that a metal detector?
    Me: No, it's a frisbee but this dang stick got caught on it.

Kid: How deep can it go?
    Me: I don't know. How about you bend over and we find out?

Kid: Did you lose something here?
    Me: Yeah, my solitude!

Kid: Can I try that thing?
    Me: Sure, if you have an $800 deposit. Got that much on ya?

Kid: What's the best thing you ever found?
    Me: A milk carton with your picture on it!

Kid: What's your name?
    Me: MXT! See, my name is right here on the machine!

Kid: Do you come here every day?
    Me: No. Sometimes I go to the dentist!

Kid: You won't find any gold around here!
    Me: Then what do you call this! (I often keep a recent find handy for just such an eventuality.)

Kid: How long have you been doing this?
    Me: (looking at my watch) Oh, about 15 minutes now!

Kid: What's your name?
    Me: Ah ha! So you admit you ignored your mom and dad when they told you never to talk to strangers!

Kid: Will you be here tomorrow too?
    Me: Nope. Not if you're here!

Most kids are fine, but there are some that are just plain obnoxious. These quips above are reserved for them.
    Those that are behaved, I'll often find a signal and tell them See where the tip of my coil is pointed? There's a penny right there and you can have it if you find it! I've shown you where it is, now all you need to do is dig it up!

That last technique usually keeps them occupied and outta my hair for a few minutes while I hunt in relative peace.

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin
    Quarters = 123
    Nickels = 60
    Dimes = 104
    Pennies = 246
    Half Dollars =
    Dollar Coins = 3
    Total Coins = 535
    Gold Sale 2/5/13 = $25.50
    YTD = $73.21

Its Going to be a Shpadoinkle Day!