Thread: Devil Dogs--1st Week...1st Ring

Devil Dogs--1st Week...1st Ring

Well I was able to get out a few times this week so far.
    Day 1: I only found a few modern pennys at a 1800s farm house.
    Day 2: I checked out the local sled hill ;more modern change/clad and a arrowhead pendent .The cool thing about the pendent is theres an image of a 1916 buffalo nickel in the center of it!
    Day 3: Yesterday I checked out a older house up the street and found two wheaties(first wheats of the year!).I also found a kids/adjustable ring. The cool thing about the ring is it's a devil dogs ring !
    I checked it out (as some may already know) It's the mascot of the U.S. Marine Corps. The only thing I couldn't find is ...what is the P all about?..Private?. :
    Anyway I'm just happy to get out and get some dirt under my finger nails!!!!
    Thanks for lookin' & HH Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Re: Devil Dogs--1st Week...1st Ring

Wow!!! I love that arrowhead pendant, and the ring too! Great finds!
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Bet if felt good to get out. That pendant is real nice. Are you sure it isn't a real 1916 Buffalo that was plated? I know they used to plate them a while back. Don't know anything about the ring though. The only devil dogs I know are the ones I used to devour when I was a kid lol
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

That sure is a nice looking pendant. Cool ring too. It looks old, probably collectible?

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Bet if felt good to get out. That pendant is real nice. Are you sure it isn't a real 1916 Buffalo that was plated? I know they used to plate them a while back. Don't know anything about the ring though. The only devil dogs I know are the ones I used to devour when I was a kid lol
    You ain't kiddin' it felt good !!! Monday I was kinda bummed at first because I was holding high hopes for this old farm. But as I was getting in the truck I thought to my self . I've been telling people down south all winter long how I would be happy with a zincon right now! after sitting in the house all winter. So after that thought.... it wasn't so bad of a hunt after all. I was just happy to get out thumbsup01
    The nickel is a little to small to be real I think. In the middle pic you can see the pendent laying next to a wheatie
    Quote Originally Posted by angellionel View Post
    Cool ring too. It looks old, probably collectible?
    Thanks Angel ! I'm not sure if it's collectable. I wouldn't even know how to find out...E-bay it? I'm not so good at researching this stuff. All I could find, when I was looking, was new ...like... class rings. You know...NICE ones !!

Very nice outing. Either the pendant or the ring would mark a successful day for me...you got 'em both.

My wife is a former Marine. She doesn't know what the P represents either. If you find out, please let us know.

Thanks for sharing.
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger View Post
    The nickel is a little to small to be real I think. In the middle pic you can see the pendent laying next to a wheatie
    lol you're right it is little! I like the arrowhead pendant too... I'm going try to find your ring online. A little challenge with my morning coffee
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

All I saw was the class ring style with stones... None on EBay... :-\
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Quote Originally Posted by tanacat View Post
    lol you're right it is little! I like the arrowhead pendant too... I'm going try to find your ring online. A little challenge with my morning coffee
    That was the best I could come up with too, the class ring type of rings. Thanks for the reply and thanks for looking into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowjiber View Post
    Very nice outing. Either the pendant or the ring would mark a successful day for me...you got 'em both.

My wife is a former Marine. She doesn't know what the P represents either. If you find out, please let us know.

Thanks for sharing.
    I had some members on the TQ forum (Ric- san & USMC2145) tell me it might stand for Paris Island USMC boot camp. Thats the best suggestion I've heard so far.
    HH Tim

My aunt was a marine as well. I'll ask her too...
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

Very nice Timmy!!
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger View Post
    That was the best I could come up with too, the class ring type of rings. Thanks for the reply and thanks for looking into it. I had some members on the TQ forum (Ric- san & USMC2145) tell me it might stand for Paris Island USMC boot camp. Thats the best suggestion I've heard so far.
    HH Tim
    I'm still not completely sure but...I had a friend stop by this morning ,so I showed the ring to him and he suggested maybe the P stands for pilot. That sure would exsplain the wings on the side

Teufel Hunden or &quotevil dog was assigned by German soldiers to U.S. Marines who fought in the Belleau Wood in 1918. The Marines fought with such ferocity that they were likened to &quotshocked04:gs from Hell. Although unverified by the Germans, the reports were made by American media at the time.

At the Marine base at Quantico, Virginia, the Marines obtained a registered English Bulldog, King Bulwark. In a formal ceremony on 14 October 1922, BGen. Smedley D. Butler signed documents enlisting the bulldog, renamed Jiggs, for the term of life. Pvt. Jiggs then began his official duties in the U.S. Marine Corps. he was later renamed Chesty to honor the legendary LtGen. Lewis B. Chesty Puller Jr a marine who was the living personification of the marine spirit.

if i had to bet anything i would say the P was for either Pilot or Puller.

Great research.... that ring has to be collectible.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250