Thread: More silver, more wheats and a surprise

Threaded View

More silver, more wheats and a surprise

I went back to the yard where I had found the Barber dime and wheats last weekend. I decided to hit the area where I found the dime and take my time. I wasn't getting many hits, but then I hit a little strip and started finding some wheats. Then I got a nice FE CO of 12-13 which is almost always a nickel. It was only showing 3 to 4 down. I figured it probably wasn't anything old, but I always like digging nickels whether they're old or not. To my surprise I had found a buffalo nickel! This is my first buffalo this year and my first with the E-Trac. It was so dirty I couldn't see the date so I just threw it into my pouch thinking it was just another dateless buffalo. A little later I got a nice 12-46 at 5 and out pops a 1952 D Rosie. Nice! One closer to Steve. I dug a few more wheats and then got a 13-46 reading. I was hoping for another silver coin but this one was showing a depth of only 1. I retrieved it and got a nice little .925 stamped ring. It's got a little moonstone in it that really catches the light.

When I got home I cleaned everything up starting with the silver. When I got to the buffalo nickel I was happy to see a date of 1917. Nice, I don't get too many with dates. I've never found one with a mint mark, but on the odd chance I checked anyway. Hmm, that sure looks like an S to me. I got the loupe out and sure enough, there was an S. I looked that one up in the redbook. Oh boy. SWEET! My best nickel find EVER! I praised God and said my thanks for such a wonderful day.

Attached Images Attached Images     
    [move]White’s MXT Minelab E-Trac Oldest coin: 1875 Indian Head Cent Oldest Silver Coin: 1886 Seated Liberty Dime[/move]