Thread: gOLF COURSES?

gOLF COURSES?

So has anyone ever hunted golf courses? There are some really OLD golf courses in the USA, and just think all all the old coins around the green. Atleast in happy Gilmore he put down a coin to mark his spot...
    Hello Wisconsin!

Re: gOLF COURSES?

Have you ever been on a golf course? The putting green and fairways have grass so short you couldn't lose a thought in it. You might have some luck in the roughs.

All this would be assuming the golf course is long abandoned. You would probably be drawn and quartered by the grounds keepers for even asking to dig on thier course.
    Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 probe
    White's SM2
    White's SM PI pro

Check out my treasure hunting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSilverFiend

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Si...03270629825473

http://www.thesilverfiend.com

we have a groundskeeper here on the forum (PulltabSteve) and i'm sure he would punish those who tried to do this with out his permission lol lol. i play golf pretty frequently and the only time i handle any change is at the concession stands or if the beer cart comes by , both are very well clear of any greens though.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

From the Fall 1970 issue of The Association treasure hunting newspaper:

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

I'm an avid golfer and I've found myself dreaming of detecting some of the old courses I've played. But I know the golf community very good and I'm pretty sure it would be frowned upon. They take there grass very seriously. On that note I have detectetd one old golf course practice area years ago that I had permission to hunt it. I had to hunt it in the very early spring and only when no one was using it. I found some interesting items as well as silver. Recently a conservation organization bought a course in my area that was under forcloseure. The conservation organization closed the course and opened it to the public as a conservancy. I obtained permission to hunt it as soon as it was closed, before in became grown over. It was opened as a golf course in the late 20's so I was drooling over being the first to run a detector over it. What I found was all clad and super soft ground. Golf courses around here are built on a sand base with a few inches of top soil and then grass. The conclussion I came to was that due to the construction of the course and the fact that the grass is cut several times a week the coins sink faster than normal. One last thing most courses are privately owned so some might say no problem. They due understand how grass grows and how it can be damaged. If you really wanted to hunt one I would be prepared to explain how you dig without damaging the ground. It will always be a no if you do not ask so if you want to hunt it, it might be worth a shot.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

INteresting, firfighter, was there a particular area of the course that you seemed to find concentrated coins? I also was told on another forum that all they found was recent clad and they were sure they were the only ones that have legally hunted their old golf course
    Hello Wisconsin!

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

The places on a course I think would be the best would be anywhere a golfer needs to access something from their golf bag. This would be on the driving range, the practice putting green, the tee box ( where each hole starts) and around the 9th and 18th greens. Most golfers end their round at one of these two holes so they take things out and put things in their bags in these areas. Also if a course has vending machines or a snack shack I would check out those areas as well. Hope this helps.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Quote Originally Posted by del link=topic=10024.msg111662#msg111662 date=1336947288
    we have a groundskeeper here on the forum (PulltabSteve) and i'm sure he would punish those who tried to do this with out his permission lol lol. i play golf pretty frequently and the only time i handle any change is at the concession stands or if the beer cart comes by , both are very well clear of any greens though.

Dan
    I'm not a groundskeeper Dan, I'm an EQUIPMENT MANAGER I don't know the difference between Kentucky Chickweed or Smooth Crabgrass... < I keep the 1.6 million dollars in equipment working happydance02 Our golf course is private. There are 2 reasons why we wouldn't allow detectorists on our course.
    1- The owners spends 6 figures on chemical supplies keeping our course in top condition each season.
    2- They have the best detectorist around, on staff. |
    We have very liitle woods areas on our course but I do have permission to hunt it. I haven't yet though. A course out east from where I live is doing a complete renovation this year. I was told about it by a Superintendent at another course. Prime detecting territory! I'll probably take a ride out this summer and check it out. I know I would be allowed to search because its all dug up.
    Having fun is what it is all about!

Quote Originally Posted by pulltabsteve link=topic=10024.msg111963#msg111963 date=1337287107
    I'm not a groundskeeper Dan, I'm an EQUIPMENT MANAGER I don't know the difference between Kentucky Chickweed or Smooth Crabgrass... < I keep the 1.6 million dollars in equipment working happydance02
    my appologies Steve , i thought you were the man that did it all
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del link=topic=10024.msg111965#msg111965 date=1337288924
    my appologies Steve , i thought you were the man that did it all
    I could but if the word got out i'd be working 30 hour days... A few years ago the asst and the super took 2 weeks vacation at the same time. I ran the show. Point is the place could run without the asst and the super for a couple of weeks but try cutting grass with dull mowers in the middle of the summer \
    Having fun is what it is all about!