Thread: Hi...new to the forum in Virginia

Hi...new to the forum in Virginia

Hi, I am a new member to this forum. I live about 5 miles from the Petersburg National Battlefield Park, Petersburg, VA in Prince George County. My metal detecting interests are Civil War and coin hunting.

I am retired federal civil service and worked for what originally was the US Army Computer Systems Command at Ft. Lee, VA which is located next to the NBP near Petersburg, VA.

I live alone on 1 1/2 acres literally across the road from an used portion of Ft. Lee. There was fighting which occurred in the summer/fall of 1864 in my immediate area as I found a fired Confederate .57 caliber distended ball and 3 dropped Yankee bullets on my property all within 75 ft. of each other. Soon after crossing the James River the Yankees marched to and occupied the Prince George County CH and encamped in the area. The Confederates were also active in the area which is far outside from the Dimmock Line. They conducted skirmish hit and run fighting. One of those skirmishes occurred close to and possibly on my property. Subsequently as the Yankee troop's presence increased the Confederates slowly repositioned their lines, i.e., retiring closer and closer to the Dimmock line near Petersburg. Unfortunately for various reasons usually involving past bad experiences with relic hunters it is extremely difficult to obtain permission to search on most resident's property in the general area.

I always look forward to meeting others having the same interest. I also am a long time amateur radio operator and have had a second career doing private and commercial satellite tv installations, maintenance and teleconference signal downlinking. I occasionally write satellite communication related articles of interest. I had a 4 page feature article with pictures published in Monitoring Times magazine, a worldwide publication, in the December, 2011 issue. The subject was off air tv programing reception of a Russain geostationary satellite which was directed to Europe and Cuba which I was able to receive...a good ole days type article.

My email addresses are either < w4uvv@comcast.net > or < w4uvv@amsat.org >.

John
    W4UVV

Re: Hi...new to the forum in Virginia

John, welcome to the forum from western MA. Sounds like you have some very interesting interests. I also am running with the V3i, had it about a year. It's a big difference from the Prizm IV I was using. Looking forward to your future posts and finds.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

hello John , one of my first jobs was installing satelite dishes way back in the early 80's its amazing how far the electronics have come since then . Virginia is one of my places i've always wanted to detect as the history was so busy with so many happenings ( early colonial , Revolutionary ,1812 and Civil War action) . welcome to the forum John and its nice to have you here .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Welcome to American Detectorist John. Glad to have you with us.

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

Welcome to the forum from SE Wisconsin. Sounds like you are surrounded by history, too bad it is tough to get permission. HH

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Welcome aboard John. It's great you joined our group.

Welcome from Mississippi. Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to your post and finds.
    2013 28 Silvers
    2014 6 Silvers, 10 Wheats
    Oldest coin 1899 Barber Quarter
    Fisher F75 LTD, Garrett ProPointer, Springfield 1911
    “Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero”……HORACE

Welcome from Western Massachusetts. Happy Hunting!!
    We are not here for a long time, We are here for a good time. Happy Hunting!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Oldest coins: 1690's William III Copper
    1787 N J Copper, 1787 Ct Copper
    massdirtfisher@gmail.com

Interesting bio, John. Thanks.

Welcome from southern Nevada.
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

Wow, a CW battle right in your back yard. Welcome from CT. |
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew