Thread: Advice on best metal detector for beach/surf detecting

Advice on best metal detector for beach/surf detecting

Hello everyone.
    I'm new to this forum and I was hoping I could get a little help. I am looking for a good submersible/waterproof metal detector. I would like to use if for beach and surf detecting. I am also a scuba diver and was thinking about doing some deep surf (6 to 12 feet) md'ing. I have heard that Minelab and Fisher make good waterproof detectors. I haven't heard too much about White or other detectors. Does anyone have any advce? Thanks.
    Arq.

Candidate Member

Re: Advice on best metal detector for beach/surf detecting

I recently bought a Garrett Sea Hunter MarkII and the first time I used it on a beach in Coronado (the only time I've had it out) I found 2 quarters, 2 dimes, 2 nickles and about 10 pennies (all newer) and some trash all in the wet sand above the surf line. I didn't have my wetsuit with me so I didn't get into the surf like my friend did with his MarkII but he told me he frequently finds really good stuff in there (1 - 2 foot high range). Although I haven't used the MD under water, I can attest to its capabilities as I used it and watched my friend use his. Will be getting back into MDing a LOT more when I retire on 7.13)
    "Try not, do. Or do not. There is no try!" - YODA

Congrats Capt Kirk on your upcoming retirement. I have a long way to go before I retire. Right now I use a Fisher CZ-20 (I think). It is waterproof to 200ft. I have never used it on the surf and am looking forward to using it in the surf. But it is old (1998); I was just wondering if there was something better and/or more up to date. I will look into yours. Thanks for the reply and happy hunting. Take care.
    Arq.

there are some great beach and or surf machines on the market now , and many are water proof from 10 to 100 ft . most water guys swear by the pulse type detectors and they do go deeper but there are a couple of good vlf machines as well and what they lack in depth they will make up in discrimination.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

The best beach detector is the Minelab Excalibur. As you go deeper under salt water, it loses more and more effectiveness (due to conductive saltwater above the coil). PI detectors are great beach detectors as long as you don't have much iron trash to deal with. If you are going for a PI, the White Dual Field is widely considered the best.

Sorry, there is no best. It's always location dependant.
    Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 probe
    White's SM2
    White's SM PI pro

Check out my treasure hunting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSilverFiend

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Si...03270629825473

http://www.thesilverfiend.com

Candidate Member

Thanks, Arq!!! 16 more working days after today - woo-hoo!! Getting all my MDing stuff ready to rock. I have access to military beaches that aren't hunted very much at all and am going to hit the one on the base where I've been working the past 40 years first. REALLY, REALLY EXCITED about retiring completely!!
    "Try not, do. Or do not. There is no try!" - YODA