Thread: Silver, Lock, and School Pin

Silver, Lock, and School Pin

I am loving this weather we are having! It sure makes for pleasant detecting time. I got my gear ready and headed to another Connecticut park, one that had yielded several silver coins last summer. I had hoped for some Barber coins but the park refused to let go of any. The mercury dimes are just as good though. Two of them I found late in the day.

Someone had nothing better to do than ruin a perfectly good silver coin. Oh well, that one will go into the silver scrap pile. The mercury dimes are dated 1917, 1920, and 1943-D.

I like this Jr High pin. I think that's a '44 engraved on it.

And last, a good old padlock.

HH!

Re: Silver, Lock, and School Pin

OUCH! That did take a hit by something sharp. But silver is silver and you did real good. Thats a cool pin and the old lock is in great shape as well. Locks up here don't fare so well. Don't know if it's the tannins in the soil or what but when you find and old steel or iron lock it is pretty much toast. Good going my friend.

You should be more careful digging those mercs out of the ground Angel. Nice collection of finds. Was there once water in the vicinity of the darker colored Merc? I dug some from an old lake bed one time that looked like that. Almost black in my case. The school pin is a neat find. I think it is a lot of fun to find stuff like that.

Jack
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Very nice silver Even if no barbers I'm teasing Maybe the silver gods are telling you that you have already found your share of barbers this year

I love the padlock and the pin. I like those finds better than silver sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSage View Post
    You should be more careful digging those mercs out of the ground Angel. Nice collection of finds. Was there once water in the vicinity of the darker colored Merc? I dug some from an old lake bed one time that looked like that. Almost black in my case. The school pin is a neat find. I think it is a lot of fun to find stuff like that.

Jack
    A part of the park does tend to get waterlogged, so any silver coins that may be pulled from that section are likely to be tarnished.

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    Very nice silver Even if no barbers I'm teasing Maybe the silver gods are telling you that you have already found your share of barbers this year

I love the padlock and the pin. I like those finds better than silver sometimes
    I knew you would not be able to resist! I need to start going through my list of parks.

Really cool old lock Angel!! OUCH on that Merc!
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

Hey maybe that Barber you were looking for was giving that Merc a haircut Nice finds and only 2 silvers. My, my, how the mighty fall I think you need some new spots soon.

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Hey maybe that Barber you were looking for was giving that Merc a haircut Nice finds and only 2 silvers. My, my, how the mighty fall I think you need some new spots soon.
    You miscounted. There are three mercs in that photo.

Yeah, I'm going to have a major silver slump for a few months. So far this year I've hit eight parks, and all yielded silver, some were more giving than others.

Quote Originally Posted by angellionel View Post
    You miscounted. There are three mercs in that photo.
    No.... we don't count sliced Mercs or dateless Standing Liberty Quarters Stop begging

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    No.... we don't count sliced Mercs or dateless Standing Liberty Quarters Stop begging
    Brutal! Just brutal.