Thread: is this bad for your machine ??

is this bad for your machine ??

Is it bad to leave your MD out in the car in this extreme heat or in the really cold weather mines stayed in the truck since I bought it 5 months ago. But today was hot!!! As blazes and it made me think that that's probably not the best thing for it. Does anyone else leave there's in the car 24/7 I like always having it on me incase I get the chance to do some spur of the moment hunting. But what do you guys do ?
    1 mercury

Re: is this bad for your machine ??

nope it can't be good for the electronics , i know extreme sunlight and heat can permanently damage the led displays .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

I never keep mine in the car because of extreme heat or cold. I'm not sure if it would damage it or not but I do not want to take the chance.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Modern vehicles have TONS of electronics. Computers located in trunks, under dashes and under seats. How come these don't get ruined in heat or cold? I fixed hundreds of cars with computer problems. Most have been damaged by water intrusion; cars under water and even leaking windshields. My car starts, transmission shifts and radio works in the heat and the cold. Maybe if you leave the detector on the dashboard, in direct sunlight, there could be problems.

I've seen this debate for years. I dont know if there is a right answer.
    Having fun is what it is all about!

Veteran Member

I left mine in the car overnight , got hot the next day . the screen was blank for quite awhile. Always keep mine the a closest, when im not using it and some one could break in the car and steel it , never know

Minelab E-Track ,Minelab SE, with stock coil, 10/12 sef coil , sunray 8 inch coil

silver count: 2011, 117 silvers , 20 indian heads

Well I've been planning a 3 day canoe trip followed by a 2 day MD trip and the only way to do this is to leave my machine In the car for three days in the heat I guess its been in the car since I got it 3 more days won't hurt it. But I definitely keep it out of the sun.
    1 mercury

I always leave mine in the truck except on days when it goes above 100. Don't know why! Just don't want to take the chance. Might not hurt it, but who knows. I have forgot it a few times and it always seems to work. Watch, tomorrow, it won't hit a lick!!!!
    2013 28 Silvers
    2014 6 Silvers, 10 Wheats
    Oldest coin 1899 Barber Quarter
    Fisher F75 LTD, Garrett ProPointer, Springfield 1911
    “Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero”……HORACE

i dont leave mne in overnigh but it has set in the car or truck for several hours what i do is cover it with a light sheet or shirt so it is not getting direct sunlight i have never had a problem dennis

My guess it affects your batteries more than anything else…especially cold weather!

Vin
    Life is like a coin. You can spend it any way you wish, but only spend it once.

I've read the heat in your car during the summer can knock the null off on your coil.

Quote Originally Posted by pulltabsteve link=topic=10453.msg115468#msg115468 date=1340931386
    Modern vehicles have TONS of electronics. Computers located in trunks, under dashes and under seats. How come these don't get ruined in heat or cold? I fixed hundreds of cars with computer problems. Most have been damaged by water intrusion; cars under water and even leaking windshields. My car starts, transmission shifts and radio works in the heat and the cold. Maybe if you leave the detector on the dashboard, in direct sunlight, there could be problems.

I've seen this debate for years. I dont know if there is a right answer.
    They do have tons of electronics but they have been designed to weather the -30 to 140 degree F shifts. It might be alright but I don't risk it.

Candidate Member

Okay now, I’ll stick my neck on the chopping block here. All feel free to take at chop.

Leaving the md in the car on a hot summer day, I think has to do more with the md expanding and shrinking than it does with the heat, after all it's not going to melt. The find circuits on the mother board could break from the expanding and shrinking.
    Ace 250, GPP and one South Texas treasure map.

Candidate Member

Hmmm . I agree with most folks here that want to err on the side of caution and keep it out of the extreme heat/cold when possible. Not all electronics are created equal... I think another huge factor in deciding whether to leave it in a car or not is eliminating the chance of it being stolen... which is greatly affected by where you are most of the time.
    Garrett AT Pro & Pro Pointer
    Lesche digger
    Sunspot Stealth scoop

Well you all make some good points but I've still been leaving it in the car (out of direct sunlight of course). Mainly because I use it everyday for atleast an hour or two some times 6 to 8 hours. And this way I can hunt right up until I go to work or I can stop on my lunch break and swing it for and hour. On the weekends I've been park hopping so there the rare occasion that its left in the car for a prolonged period of time but for the most part its getting used quit a bit and its just so handy and convent to leave it there.
    1 mercury

Candidate Member

Quote Originally Posted by carl2112 link=topic=10453.msg118874#msg118874 date=1343937575
    Well you all make some good points but I've still been leaving it in the car (out of direct sunlight of course). Mainly because I use it everyday for atleast an hour or two some times 6 to 8 hours. And this way I can hunt right up until I go to work or I can stop on my lunch break and swing it for and hour. On the weekends I've been park hopping so there the rare occasion that its left in the car for a prolonged period of time but for the most part its getting used quit a bit and its just so handy and convent to leave it there.
    I am jealous that you get to hunt as often as you do. I am sure if I hunted every day like you do I would leave it in the car as well simply because of the convenience... very good point. So, I guess it comes down to what each person is comfortable with.
    Garrett AT Pro & Pro Pointer
    Lesche digger
    Sunspot Stealth scoop

I don't leave mine in the car because i couldn't replace it if anthing happened to it,i say this because i used to leave one in the car and in the summer the batteries leaked and wrecked the detector,a modified idx-pro.HH Jim
    If it wasn't for flashbacks, i would have no memory at all

My White's Coinmaster stays in the car trunk almost all of the time. I have never had a problem with it. I need it in the car because I hunt short hunts almost everyday on the way to/from work or on my lunch break. If I had an expensive machine I might think twice.
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

I've got full coverage on my truck so if it were to get stolen. I'd be upgrading with my insurance payout !!
    1 mercury

:: To leave or not to leave... That is a good question!

In the instruction booklet, operating temperatures should be between -10 to 50 Celcius wich means 14 to 122 F...

Here in Quebec, I don't think it will be a problem... But, you will never be to carefull for your toys!

Daniel <
    French canadian from Quebec Hunting with :
    Fisher F5 Pro DD11
    Minelab Sovereign X2-S Pro

Excessive heat or cold can damage electronic circuits or viewing screens.

I live in the Mojave desert were the ambient temps are often well over 100 degrees. I leave all my machines in my attached garage, but remove the batteries. Admittedly, the temps in the garage are usually about 15 degrees cooler than the outside air temps, but it gets pretty darn hot.

I'm pretty familiar with electronics exposed to extreme conditions. The comment about the circuitry is valid IMHO, but it's usually cold that causes the cracks...not heat.

This time of year, it's pretty mild in most parts of the country...the desert southwest being a possible exception. I wouldn't be afraid to leave my machines in the trunk for a few days.

(Your results may vary. )
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.