Thread: Two Parks Yield Silver and Other Goods

Two Parks Yield Silver and Other Goods

This afternoon I headed out to detect at two local parks, splitting my available time between them. They are not too far apart, so it worked out well. The first one yielded a few interesting items in addition to two silver coins, a 1935 Washington quarter and a 1916 Barber dime.

I dug this compact from the first park. It was deeply buried, just about nine inches. It had hit like a silver quarter at a steady 12-47, even after it was out of the ground. It's in very good shape too. There is no rattling inside. No Angie, I haven't opened it.

An interesting find to say the least.

The silver ring too is from the first park.

I also dug this thingamajig from the first park, just a few feet from where I dug the compact and Merry Widow tin. Any ideas as to what it may be?

At the second park I dug this second compact. No, Angie, I haven't opened this one either.

This skull ring was on the ground, recently lost apparently. I couldn't just leave it there.

And here is the silver of the day, a 1935 Washington quarter, a 1916 Barber dime, one mercury dime, dated 1926, and a seated dime, dated 1853.

And yes, both parks yielded several wheat cents too, some dated in the teens.

HH!

Re: Two Parks Yield Silver and Other Goods

I can hardly bring myself to look at these posts for fear I will hop in my car at 3am and start driving to some park, any park, in New England. Not that I think I'd have the success you do, but just the possibility! Yikes.

Congrats as always. Sweet digs!
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

OMG!!! That is the ugliest ring I have ever seen! Perhaps only to be beaten in ugliness by the other skull ring you found!

What do the two protruding things say above and below 'duplex'?

Open the compacts!! You found another compact made by the same company as the green one you just posted. At that time you dated it to be 1920's. Remember?

Lovely silver too

Quote Originally Posted by z118 View Post
    I can hardly bring myself to look at these posts for fear I will hop in my car at 3am and start driving to some park, any park, in New England. Not that I think I'd have the success you do, but just the possibility! Yikes.

Congrats as always. Sweet digs!
    Thanks, Z!

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    OMG!!! That is the ugliest ring I have ever seen! Perhaps only to be beaten in ugliness by the other skull ring you found!

What do the two protruding things say above and below 'duplex'?

Open the compacts!! You found another compact made by the same company as the green one you just posted. At that time you dated it to be 1920's. Remember?

Lovely silver too
    Yeah, I remember. That other compact is in a pile somewhere - unopened.

I'm not sure what other words are on that thingamajig. I left it in the car trunk, to be added to the 'look-at-it-some-day' pile.

Hey that's a lantern top. Double wicker? Twice as bright? I don't know. I hate them things Nice painted compact and some really great finds. The seated is real sweet Merry Widows ha? Where is Mabel and Becky and what's her name anyways? All that for just a buck Great hunt, After seeing that seated, I'm almost ready to hit a park with my monster coil The weather has been picture perfect lately.

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Hey that's a lantern top. Double wicker? Twice as bright? I don't know. I hate them things Nice painted compact and some really great finds. The seated is real sweet Merry Widows ha? Where is Mabel and Becky and what's her name anyways? All that for just a buck Great hunt, After seeing that seated, I'm almost ready to hit a park with my monster coil The weather has been picture perfect lately.
    Thanks for the ID, George.

The weather has been terrific this week! I think the weekend too will be quite perfect.

Great ID, George. It's old. Take a look at the top middle photo in this 1897 Sears catalog: http://tinyurl.com/yfvnlpn Cool!

Too bad the compacts didn't hold any coins but if you keep opening them, someday one will.

Beautiful seated coin. I hope you find more today, at the park that produced for us last summer

that seated is awesome!

oh man!!!!!!!! geesh angel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! unfreakinbeleivable is all i gotta say hey if you decide your gonna scrap or melt that skull ring let me know.i'll buy it off ya.i kinda like skully type things

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT View Post
    oh man!!!!!!!! geesh angel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! unfreakinbeleivable is all i gotta say hey if you decide your gonna scrap or melt that skull ring let me know.i'll buy it off ya.i kinda like skully type things
    Thanks, Dave!

Hey, the ring is yours if you want it. The band snapped, but it looks like it can be welded back together. Just PM me with an address an I'll mail it to you.