Thread: JUNE 2012 CONTEST

Threaded View

JUNE 2012 CONTEST

Have you ever touched a strangers life by metal detecting? I think I have. About 6 years ago at the old park I still love going to, I was detecting the field and noticed an old gent watching me. I worked my way over to him and we started talking. His name was Kevin and he was 83. His wife recently died and he was a WW2 vet. He has been going to this park since the 1940s. He said he always wanted to try metal detecting but he never did. I showed him some of my finds from the day and as luck would have it 1 of my finds was a 1923 Merc. He held the dime and smiled and said that was the year he was born. I gave him the dime but he said he couldnt take it. I MADE HIM TAKE IT! He shook my hand, thanked me, and said I was a very generous young man.

Every time I saw Kevin in the park I made it a point to turn off my machine and sit on the bench and talk to him. We must have talked 20 times in the last 6 years.

Two weeks ago I found out he passed away.

I went back to the park this past weekend and buried a 1923 Merc a good 2 feet deep in his honor.

This contest is simple. Tell a story about a strangers life you touched by metal detecting. Dont be shy, we're among friends here. The contest will run from now, June 1st 2012 thru June 30th 2012 at 9PM.

I'm not sure how I'll pick the winner yet. I may just let all the entrants vote on which is the most heartfelt. PM me if you have a suggestion.

The prize will of course be a 1923 Mercury Dime plus either a 1971 40% silver Eisenhower uncirculated silver dollar, Digging deeper with the DFX book, MXT edge book, hand held sand scoop or a shadow box. Winners choice.
    HAVE FUN EVERYONE!
    I'll post the prize pictures soon.
    EDIT 6-1-12 I'm looking for 15 or more stories to make this contest official.

CONTEST IS OVER!
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Having fun is what it is all about!