Thread: A sweet first, some silver, and 14 foreign

Threaded View

A sweet first, some silver, and 14 foreign

What a weird, sweet hunt!

I headed out this evening for my first after work hunt of 2010. It was a beautiful evening with temps in the lower 60's and very sunny. I headed for a spot that last year gave up many wheats and two silver coins - a Rosie and my first and only Barber dime. I was hopeful for maybe a little silver. Right away I started getting wheat pennies, and not too many other targets except for sparse clad. After maybe 5 or 6 wheats I was getting a bit irritated, thinking there had to be some silver in there somewhere. I got a shallow nickel tone and not thinking much of it pulled a plug. And there is was - MY FIRST BUFFALO NICKEL!!! Pretty nice too - I believe the date is 1916. Not having dug a Buff before tonight was really strting to stick in my craw - believe me, I dig nickels. I dug 1,500+ last year. So one of my goals this year was to get a Buff finally and dang it feels good to have met that goal on my third hunt of the year.

At that point I was feeling pretty good, and kept swinging along pulling more wheats and a bit more clad. I got a tone that seemed like another deep wheat but I was pleased and surprised instead to see the glint of silver in the hole. A shiny, beautiful Merc! What a sweet hunt this was proving to be!

No I was REALLY feeling pleased with things and kept on swinging when I get a big high tone that sounds like a coin but was just too big. So I poke around and out pops a big foreign coin - a 10 cent coin from the Republic of Kenya. It looked like it had been against another coin in the ground so I took another look and sure enough, out pops another. Long story short I wind up pulled FOURTEEN foreign coins from this small area as well as a Susan B dollar. They are all dated from the 60's. I feel badly for the kid that lost his coin collection but it sure was a neat find for me.

I wound up with 10 wheats altogether. Total for the hunt was 59 coins (including the old and foreign stuff) worth $5.00 even. No other items of interest other that what I assume is part of a light with the white house on it.

And THAT is the story of the amazing hunt I had today!
    Attached Images Attached Images           
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent