Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT link=topic=13454.msg142390#msg142390 date=1370268707
hey dan lookin back at my soap n water cleaning job the exposed metal was a ruddy red before the CLR dip.so.. i don't know.but I appreciate the info on your cleaning tip.knowledge is good to absorb when it comes to cleaning methods.1st pic is just the water & soap with the green verdigris still clinging to rim.2nd pic is after CLR with green gone
Dave its difficult to make out the before and after exposed areas real well because your pictures usually vary with different lighting from shot to shot. yes the exposed copper is generally a reddish in color but the stronger strength CLR will exploit these bare spots and discolor the metal even further and sometimes even undermine the gilt . the stronger the strength the faster it can happen , diluting it and only using for a few seconds at a time as opposed to saoking in full strength can slow this process and give you a chance to stop before that happens . does this make sense to you ??