Thread: Insane weekend! 24 silver coins from one site!

Threaded View

Insane weekend! 24 silver coins from one site!

I'm still pinching myself!

On Saturday morning, I headed out early to do some detecting at a couple of schools that I found silver at earlier this year. On my way to the first school I passed a large park in a small town that I had noticed in the past but had written off because I didn't think the park looked old. All of the trees are small, in fact many are recently planted saplings. But I decided to drive around the park for the heck of it, and this time I noticed an old school bell mounted on a pedestal that indicated this park was the site of an old school that was built in 1904. So I decided that I would give it a try for an hour or so and move on if I didn't find anything.

By the end of my hunt I had found 9 silver coins including 4 silver quarters!

I had to head home early because I had to get ready for a Halloween party, but I knew that I would be returning on Sunday (today) to hit this park hard.

This morning I arrived at the park just as the sun was coming up. It was only 26 degrees and there was frost on the ground, but it ended up being a beautiful day with temps near 60 and sunny. Today I found 15 silver coins including a Walking Liberty Half! I also found a sterling silver Boy Scouts ring.

I still can't believe that I found a virgin site in this day and age. I don't think that's it's totally virgin as there was very little clad or surface coins, but whoever hunted it didn't seem to get any of the coins that were 5 deep or deeper. In fact, I talked to 2 different people in the park who told me that they had seen someone else detecting there recently. Obviously he didn't have an E-Trac!

Here are my total finds for both Saturday and Sunday:
    Name:  Pile-10-27_zpsc4eb880f.JPG
Views: 106
Size:  126.3 KB

24 silver coins before cleaning:
    Name:  Silvers-Dirty-10-27_zpsb9d0d858.JPG
Views: 105
Size:  128.0 KB

... and after cleaning:
    Name:  Silvers-Clean_zps3f680a10.JPG
Views: 91
Size:  106.8 KB

The sterling silver Boy Scouts ring is smooshed but hopefully I can get it straightened out:
    Name:  Boy-Scout-Ring_zps7d45a59a.JPG
Size:  73.8 KB

I found 67 wheat cents. (Yes, I got weary of digging them!)
    Name:  Wheats-10-27_zps71099782.JPG
Size:  139.2 KB

One lone Indian Head and one lone Buffalo Nickel:
    Name:  Indian-Buff_zpsa0bdb6ad.JPG
Size:  88.0 KB

Some of the older dimes. The 1916 Merc does not have a mint mark:
    Name:  Oldest-Dimes_zps077b358c.JPG
Size:  112.1 KB

I was happy to get an SLQ even if it's a smoothie. It was about 10 deep:
    Name:  SLQ-Obv_zps9f1c91c8.JPG
Views: 102
Size:  121.0 KBName:  SLQ-Rev_zps92b4e8e5.JPG
Size:  131.3 KB

The Walker was 11 deep. I am mystified how a 1941 Walker got so deep. Before cleaning and after:
    Name:  Walker-Dirty-Obv_zpsa0394886.JPG
Views: 101
Size:  115.9 KBName:  Walker-Dirty-Rev_zpsd5fb6fee.JPG
Size:  113.0 KB

Name:  Walker-Obv_zps60b7862d.JPG
Views: 102
Size:  123.6 KBName:  Walker-Rev_zps97e66ce3.JPG
Views: 101
Size:  135.4 KB

Oddly enough, all of the coins in this park seem to have been dropped in the 1940s. Tons of wheat cents but almost no Indian Heads. Lots of Mercs but almost no Barbers.

Man, talk about a fun weekend of detecting! I still can't believe it!

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 09-22-2017 at 04:13 PM.