Thread: Snake loose in my house....

Threaded View

Snake loose in my house....

I'm a naturalist at a nature center and my hubby found a baby black rat snake at his work in a maintenance building. He asked if I wanted to take her to work to show the kids. I talked to co-workers and we decided to keep her since she was young and hadn't been used to a life in the wild. We named her 'Sweet Pea' and she's been great as an educational tool to help teach/relieve fears, as I'm not scared of snakes and would get her out for the school programs. We had her there for about a month but recently I had a 3 day weekend and took her home (that day she had been traumatized by some middle school kids tapping on the glass getting a thrill out of her striking at the glass). I thought nice to have my boys get to know her and tame her some more
    but on day 3 she escaped out of her tank!!!

She's only 1 foot long now but they can grow to 8 feet! It's been 2 weeks and we still can't find her. Snakes are notorious escape artists. The ironic thing is that I'd decided the day she got loose to go ahead and set her free behind our house (woods/creek).... I was feeling guilty about keeping her in captivity, that she would be happier in the wild.

Anyone have ideas on how to find a snake loose in the house?? I thought we'd find her by now...
    Last edited by tanacat; 11-18-2013 at 10:03 AM.
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP