Thread: DFX: cost and concerns?

Threaded View

DFX: cost and concerns?

So back in the beginning of May when that relentless little bug to try detecting started biting deep, a DFX (spectrum E) was posted on the fishing site I haunt. I almost dived on it, but wound up passing for a couple reasons for now.
    It was purchased 8 or so years ago for a trip to the Caribbean, likely for beach combing. The owner decided beach combing wasn't so fun, and really didn't use it while down there. It came home and has been in a closet until recently to sell it.
    The whole shebang includes the DFX with the stock coil, the 12" MXT coil, Bullseye 140mm pointer, headphones, 3 battery packs, and other stuff accessories and fluff. 2 are the NiMH packs, and the 3'rd a pack that loads AA alkalines. Everything looks very clean in the pics.

I had one concern right off. The rechargable packs, and what long storage without use did. My guess is they're dead flat and toast. The other concerns more recently is whether the DFX is meant for saltwater use? White's doesn't list specs for it anymore.
    Digging through this forum for more, I see mention of sending them out for re-calibration after a number of years. So now I wonder, would a DFX sitting unused for years be best served getting looked at, or is it still good to go?

After my 1'st trip in the woods with Dan and Drew, I know what I need to invest in 1'st. A real shovel and trowel, knee pads, and a better utility belt.
    I'm no stranger to a soldering iron in the least. From SMT's to installing product in cars, so tearing apart the packs and replacing the cells is an option for me. After that is the very limited saltwater use, followed by the calibration.

So, what's it worth as it sits if you were looking? I'll post the price I can buy it for in a bit. It seems like a fair price, just want opinions. I don't mind upgrading early if it is a deal. Hardware and software doesn't scare me in the least. Already working a learning curve in a new hobby, it'll just be a bit sharper. No big wiggle..
    Last edited by Trooper Bri; 06-26-2014 at 08:25 PM.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy