Thread: Learning the GPX 5000 for relic hunting

Threaded View

Learning the GPX 5000 for relic hunting

I had a couple hours free time today and have been wanting to get back to the site that I pulled the 1809 Capped Bust dime from. It is only a couple miles from my house, so today I wanted to try and learn the machine a bit better around a cellar hole. I was primarily trying to see if there was any way to tell ferrous from non ferrous using a mono (non discriminating) coil. The one thing I instantly fell in love with on this machine, is the way it's threshold sounds like the old analog machines. I'm not sure but I thought I read they use both analog and digital in this machine. The end result is that I can tell non ferrous targets pretty consistently before I dig, but the ferrous targets are harder to tell. Any iron that is square, round or non nail like is going to give a good sound. Any small nail about 1" or under, including just the heads of nails, round birdshot, etc... is going to sound good too. Regular nails can be figured out to be bad.

I did pretty good for 3 hours of hunting, but I did stay away from the cellar hole Wasn't ready to tackle nail after nail just yet. The interesting pieces I found today was a weird lock. The top piece seems to just fold over the lock instead of going back into the lock Also has an odd key hole. The second piece that was odd was a small plug like disk that seems to read "Dollars" in the recessed area. Wondering if it is a scale weight. Thought it was iron but it may be brass. Learning this machine one hole at a time Here are all the finds (minus a lot of iron), so you can get a picture of what reads good.

Just found a similar lock from the same company. It appears that the top piece on my lock is just bent and would have slipped right into the top of the lock like usual.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=2

Name:  007.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  60.8 KBName:  006.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  56.8 KBName:  005.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  47.9 KBName:  004.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  52.1 KBName:  003.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  68.2 KBName:  002.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  43.4 KBName:  001.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  52.0 KB
    Last edited by coinnut; 07-06-2014 at 07:48 PM.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold