Yesterday I said it and it was true. I didn't waste the day when I got home from work. After relaxing for just a bit I decided to go. The first place I spent 2-2.5 hours there and I didn't have much to show for it. Toward the time I was about to pack up, this old woman from across the street came by to see if I found anything. Her house is around 1830's. Shes going on about how she has a white's, probably 25 years old, thats been sitting in the attic for quite some time. She used it on the property herself and told me she's seen a bunch on the place I was at a few times already. I asked her if she did her own property. It was an 1850 property. I walked away with my oldest wheat, 1914. I also found this weird piece by the tree out front. The tree is maybe 80 years old. It's some sort of whale tail piece. Not sure what its used for. There is an old pump well out front still (but it's not missing a piece). What I found almost reminds me of a large novelty bottle opener. lol.
Name:  1914 wheat.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  61.7 KBName:  Whale tail top.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  83.9 KBName:  Whale Tail bottom.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  85.7 KB
The second place I went to seemed like virgin property. I spent maybe an hour there and I had much more to show for it. It was a park located probably the third oldest part of town. The oldest being 1630's (which is my next spot to hit). It was located next to a church. The property card for the church says it's newer than 1868. There is a church in the same area on my old map. I saw the heating oil tank out back, similar to the 1704 school house I hit earlier this summer. Fresh batteries and I was ready. The first few hits were just pull tabs. This first coin spill was three pennies. When I dug them, they were literally stacked ontop of each other. Only pennies, but ehh... coin spill. Then I went near this small berry tree. Bam, Merc, 1942. That was actually my first merc. I went near this concrete slab, I saw two signals in the same swing. I pinpointed both. I dug one and it was just a penny. Then I moved to the other. The readings had both been in the full copper range. I started digging. Out popped a wheat. I hit two things with pin pointer. Out popped another wheat. Theres more? Then a regular '65 penny. And again? Another wheat. After swinging for a bit I went back near the small tree. On the other side of it I found an earing. Shaped like a bell with sterling and '331' printed inside. It's older seeing as they rarely use sterling for jewelry instead of 925 (and the 945 in the newer mexican silver jewelry). It was getting dark and my pocket was full. I'll wait but another trip is in order.
Name:  Bell earing 7-17.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  48.1 KBName:  Wheats&Dime 7-17.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  65.7 KBName:  Mercury front 7-17.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  63.0 KBName:  Mercury dime 7-17.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  40.3 KBName:  Clad 7-17.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  52.2 KBName:  Bell Earing.jpg
Views: 161