I had plans on doing some relic hunting this weekend with my dad, but he had to back out last minute, so I went solo. I started out hunting a field where a school house stood in the late 1800s. In the past it's given it up a lot of good coins and relics..no coins today, but I did end up with an ink well topper and a few buttons and some sort of other relic...looks like stacked cannon balls to me...reckon it could be grapes..dunno. And I also found what I thought was a fired shotgun slug, but after washing it off, I can see it has engraving on it, a rainbow with what looks like a guy sitting against a tree with a fishing pole in his hand.
After that, I decided to hunt an old park that gets hit pretty hard...figured it would be a good place to get back into the swing of things and to remind myself how much I hate pull tabs.
My very first signal there turned out to be a 14k wedding band. Then I remembered how "trashy" the park is...after about 50 or so pull tabs, I got myself into "coin mode" and started ignoring everything else. I slowed down and kept my coil tight and started finding coins in the trash pretty consistently...was fooled by a "clippy" pull tab every now and then that would chirp like deep silver...but in the end I had 3 silvers...4 if you include the war nickel and a bit of clad. I figure I'll go back to that park after I get my new detector and learn how to use it...I know that park has tons more silver and gold to cough up.