Thread: First hunt, first real signal, first silver of 2015. Silverware trifecta!

Threaded View

First hunt, first real signal, first silver of 2015. Silverware trifecta!

I almost got knocked over a couple times by the wind today, but it was great to get out!

Got an invite from a guy named Mark in one of the Facebook detecting groups I haunt. He and his son Rob have been hitting an old farm that's now just open fields for public use. Maybe 25 or 30 acres. He's gotten some cool finds from there, despite knowing a detecting club has whacked the place previously. We met at noon, which is when the weather was supposed to clear out. Obviously it cleared out sooner. Oh well.

Poked around a bit then headed out. It was real trashy near the road and where the house(s) had been. I could hear can slaw and other crap. Wandered for maybe 15 or 20 minutes, mostly ignoring the crap I was hearing, and finally got a good tone on the V3i. Target was a bit big, so I was braced for aluminum crap.
    Nope, silver in the hole! I could see the fat handle of a spoon. Oh boy, time to get up and dance! It's heavy, and has a monogram. I'll have to decypher the makers marks on the back when I get time.
    Name:  AD1.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  88.2 KB

Name:  AD2.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  109.6 KB

Dug a lot of crap, managed a 2'nd spoon (silver plated), then got another good signal. Heart-stopper for a second when I saw a curved edge and a lot of patina. Turned out to be the edge of what looks like a ladies compact perhaps. It's drying out still, so I'll get better pics up.
    Name:  AD3.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  87.6 KB

Back to digging a combination of park/farm crunk. Managed a wheat penny in there somewhere, but it was my only coin. So, after about 3 hours, I got my 2'nd low 80's tone. Same deal, a bit big. Cringe #2. Fork #1, dance #2!
    A heavy sterling children's fork with a Jack & Jill scene cast into the handle. And more makers marks on the back. Woohoo!
    Name:  AD4.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  103.1 KB

Name:  AD5.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  88.1 KB

I start wandering the return trip to the car, still digging crap, and went on a silverware blitz. Infant's fork (i think) all folded up, another spoon missing it's plating, and what looks like a measuring spoon all bent up. Then maybe 10 minutes from the car, it happens again. Low 80's and kind of a large target. Could it be? Yup. Dance #3!
    Stubby handle with a large bowl. Sugar spoon, or some small serving spoon I'm guessing. Very cool.
    Name:  AD6.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  63.1 KB

Name:  AD7.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  62.7 KB

A trash or treasure day for sure. All that silver cam with a price though. My car sank into the soft field we were parked in. Thankfully Mark was ready for it and once he got his truck unstuck, we strapped to the rear of the frame and pulled me out. Hoping the weather plays nice Tuesday and Wednesday so I can get out again. Thanks for reading and HH.
    Name:  AD8.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  80.4 KB
    Last edited by Trooper Bri; 04-04-2015 at 07:22 PM.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy