Thread: New Hampshire road trip 6/5 - 6/8

Threaded View

New Hampshire road trip 6/5 - 6/8

Over the winter I wound up making friends with a group of detectorists in New Hampshire who post on YouTube, the Stealth Diggers. I also help out on their Facebook page as well. Charlie is the founder of the group of 8 in his area, plus 4 of us that have been adopted. I'm the closest of the 4, with the rest being out as far as Baltimore. The stars fell into alignment, and 11 of us were able to get together for a hunt Sunday.

Charlie has a lot of cellar holes in his area, and he's very active with his historical society. I got at his house Friday morning, and around noon 5 of us loaded up, and headed out for a tour. Most of these holes get hit occasionally by him. He likes to hop around, never staying in one place too long. The first group of holes was a surprise to me. A decent off-road jaunt, and a good hike up the side of a small mountain to an area that was flat enough to live on.
    I didn't get a ton of relics this weekend, but that 1'st hole of the weekend gave me a keeper. Looks to be my 1'st real KGII (I hope). The pic is from that night. It was drying out and some of the dirt has flaked off since. I can see the bust easier. Hoping for details. The rev side has more crunk on it, some flaking off. I can't make out anything, and not sure I want to poke at it.

Name:  ToastyKG2.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  45.7 KB

Maybe 20 minutes 100ft away from my KG, Charlie got one too. Same head. But in better shape. The rev side was the better of the two. That spot didn't produce much else so on we rolled, getting a find here and there as we hopped around until 7PM. Repeat for Saturday, except there were 7 of us gathered now in 2 vehicles. Bouncing down roads in 4WD, checking out holes, going by others.

Sunday was the big day. 11 of us, 3 vehicles. No earth shattering finds, as these places get worked. Typical 1700's and on. But it's funny to see so many people wailing on a cellar hole. I had a great time meeting the rest of the crew, and wandering around the hills of NH for a few days. He's got quite the playground up there.

Here's my better stuff:
    A 1/2" diameter cuff button I believe. The blue is some kind of stone shaped into a dome. The shank is intact and moves around. Got it on the lip of the last hole we hit Sunday. Got a repeatable burp of 8 on my V3i through the horde of nails and said what the hell. I love this button!
    Name:  BlueStoneButton.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  34.3 KB

Name:  BlueButtonSide.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  25.1 KB

Name:  BlueButtonBack.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  28.5 KB

Got this guy hiding between some shrubbery close to another hole. I'm using an inch worm for sizing purposes (it's really 5/8").
    Name:  CastButtonShank.jpg
Size:  83.6 KB

Name:  CastButtonFace.jpg
Size:  76.7 KB

This 2-piece button is 5/8" diameter. I thought the center was toast initially, but I was able to clean it a bit so far and it had a nice star inside a circle pattern. I'll try and get better pics outside.
    Name:  ButtonWithStars.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  82.8 KB

Name:  StarButton.jpg
Size:  37.1 KB

And other stuff:
    A suspender clip and small buckle. Both with mystery meat attached.
    A cellar hole spoon with 2 buckles dug at a quickie farmhouse stop.
    Name:  ClipAndBuckle.jpg
Size:  57.4 KB

Name:  SpoonAndBuckles.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  57.9 KB

And finally, my whatisit? item. Escutcheon behind a cabinet pull knob, or something similar?
    Name:  Gizmo1.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  48.8 KB

Name:  Gizmo2.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  55.0 KB
    Last edited by Trooper Bri; 06-09-2015 at 08:08 PM.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy