Thread: Pequot indian hunt w/ Coinnut

Threaded View

Pequot indian hunt w/ Coinnut

today was the first Saturday hunt the Pequot Indian museum archaeologist put on (before this is was just monday,tuesday and wedsnesday )my 2nd time only going because of work. they are surveying and excavating a 1637 Indian fort that was attacked and burnt by the early English colonists , there are no signs of any evidence of this that shows today and what lays on this land site now is a residential set of older homes (1910 and newer).George has been to this place a few times and has found a musket ball and a brass arrow point from that era and i have found a musket ball the last time i was out there.

well we got there around 9 a.m. ( boy that sure is late for us ) and was greeted by Kevin the head archaeologist with a few pictures , one of George's last point and it was a beauty . Kevin said it still had some type of fiber or material residue still on it (which is amazing after almost 377 years) and the musket ball i had found had hit something with cloth fibers or something similar .
    well with that kind of news psyched us up to finds some more but the area we were hitting today wasn't looking to friendly as it was a front yard of a very newer house so the yard had been pretty disturbed , plus add some noticeable emi from overhead powerlines some moderate mineralization and to top it off sprinkle some iron bits , like nails , some modern metallic trash here and there . with both machines acting a little erratic we swept the yard slowly and made adjustments here and there , i dropped my AC some and then dropped it a little more and also bumped up the sweep speed . it seemed to do a little better and after a few hours and alot of melted lead , an old broken cap gun from the 60's and some broken square cut nails , i had my first impacted smaller calibur musket ball ( i sighed with relief too lol lol ). a good while later George had a brass point ( a little smaller but longer one which almost fooled us both ) from then i found three more musket balls , one being a large (50 calibur or bigger ) very impacted and a 1903 barber dime stretcher:.there was another detectorist with us for the day and he came away with 2 or 3 musket balls so the museum had there best day for artifacts and the head archaeologist was pretty convinced where we were detecting was the inside of the Indian fort. a very nice productive day that was almost 7 hours long so Coinnut and i decided to celebrates by going detecting to a nearby colonial cellar for a couple of hours lol lol where i was rewarded with a 1786 vermont copper ( baby head variety rr-9) rareity = scarce , sorry the picture doesn't do it justice .

Dan

Attached Images Attached Images       
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album