Thread: Wheats and a Ring

Threaded View

Wheats and a Ring

Made an effort to get out of my comfort zone today and hit some old parks looking for silver. I'm not a big fan of parks - too much junk, and for that reason I am typically a school yard hunter. At any rate, I quickly hit a couple of tot lots first thing this morning and then an old park a few towns over that I had hunted once before. During that last hunt I scored a nice coin spill comprised of three wheat pennies, the oldest being 1909.

As I got started I remembered why I don't like parks - the Sov nulled left and right, and when it wasn't nulling it was signaling almost nonstop on junk. I like to dig it all, or at least as much as I can stand, but this is obviously impossible when you get a junk signal every two feet. So I went against my instinct and listened only for faint, high tones. The first one I decided to dig was a nice 1937 wheat. That seemed like a good sign, but you never know. And sure enough, the hunt went on and I landed 6 more deep wheats and NO SILVER! On the bright side I scored a nice vintage Weather Bird ring which apparently was some kind of swag for a brand of children's shoes back in the 50's.

If nothing else it was good to expand my horizon a bit. I can't stay in school yards forever, so I'd better start easing myself into parks. I will certainly hit this one again, though maybe not until spring. I find it impossible to believe that I could find 10 wheats in two hunts and that there is no silver there still to be found.

Total for the day was 97 coins worth $6.84, including the wheats.

Happy Hunting!
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent