1st outing with the Garrett AT Pro

Took the AT Pro out to a park area that has lots of trees and is next to a school. The school was built about 1 1/2 years before the land next to it became a park area. The park was built in 1964. My assumption was the school kids played in the area at recess and after school activities.

As it was my first detecting search with the AT Pro, I used the STD mode and wanting to test the tone roll audio on the bottle caps that are in almost every park I search, I notched out everything but the upper coins. I will have plenty of time to test out the other features of the detector.

On most detectors lots of bottlecaps read as quarter signals----that is what I wanted to test first. I dug on every quarter signal and on every quarter signal I rechecked it in the PRO mode, to see if the tone roll audio was correctly IDing bottlecaps from the quarters.

Every time the PRO mode sounded its triple tone on a pass---low/high/low, it indeed was a bottlecap, and every time the PRO mode had just the high tone, it indeed was a quarter. I dug over 25 bottlecaps and 4 quarters. The Tone Roll Audio just by itself is worth a look because we all have been tricked by those quarter--bottlecaps.

The AT Pro does sound very good on targets. One high tone I got on the AT Pro, showed 10 inches deep. I dug up a piece of copper tubing that was over 8 inches deep, acording to my diggers length, and the signal was loud and clear.

The headphones are very good and are solidly built. A little bit heavy for warm days, but they do block out quite a bit of outside noise and even with a slight hearing loss in my left ear, I had to turn the headphone volume, down because it was a bit too loud. The phones have a separate volume for each side and a mono/stereo switch also.

While searching, I got a signal that bounced from quarter to half to quarter. I dug and got a clad quarter, rechecking the hole --there was another quarter---it was a 1964 Washington. Both quarters were less than 4 inches deep.

Then along a 3 foot long tree root that was showing just above the ground next to a tree, I got a penny signal. In that area I pulled 26 wheats from close to the tree root. Talk about pocket spills !!!!!!!
Though they were just a few inches deep and most any detector could have found them, the AT Pro located them !!!!!!!!!!!!!

The detector is lighter than the Whites detectors I am using, but while swinging the unit, the balance is not as even, as the coil side is a bit heavier. I spent 3 hours detecting and while it feels different than my Whites, it was easy to swing and I am liking it alot.

Check out this short video.

First AT PRO Outing