The excitement from yesterday's finds had still not abated by today. It had been fun digging up four mercury dimes from one hole and walking away from the park with eight silver coins. I had no thoughts of being able to surpass that anytime soon, yet today I somehow managed to do just that.

I returned to the park, picking up from where I had left off on my last grid. What took place next had me smiling like a little boy at a candy store. I turned on my machine, noise canceled, and began my grid. Then, on my fifth or sixth sweep, I heard that distinctive silver tone. The type that makes you stop on your tracks. I hovered and slowly swept the coil over the target to determine the approximate depth as well as possible identification. The Fe numbers were hitting between 8 and 10, and the Co number 46/47, that of a half dollar. The depth gauge was indicating a possible 8 or 9 inches. Dare I hope for another half?

I did not waste any time cutting the plug, though I was careful to make it wide enough so as not to clip the target with my digger. I scooped out plenty of soil, and after digging eight inches or so I saw my target - a Walker! I picked it up to look at the date - 1943-D. Sweet! This one makes my 10th silver half this year - five Barber half dollars, four Walking Liberty halves, and one Franklin.

I was feeling very good after digging the WLH, and confident that I would walk away from the park with at least another two silver coins. But it turned out to be much better than that, as I had ten silver coins in my pouch by the end of the day. Gridding pays off!

The soil sure wanted to hold on to this 1938 mercury dime.

A 1947 Roosevelt dime.

The large silver I dug up today. The quarter was another sweet surprise.

And the silver dimes, dated 1938, 1940-S, 1942, 1945-D, 1945-S, 1946, 1947 and 1964

I also picked up this Chinese coin. It's the size of a large U.S. copper. I have yet to identify the type or year.

Winter, stay away!!

HH!