Thread: coppers and buttons

Threaded View

Veteran Member

coppers and buttons

Got some warmer weather after a nasty storm moved thru, so between work and the storm managed to get some detecting in. I love looking for coppers after a heavy rain.

Anyway, these are a bit too embarrassing to post. First one at least shows a right-facing bust and a III, but it is a good 1 to 2 mm smaller than a traditional halfpenny. I think there is a full-sized harp or lyre on the back, but it is so worn is is hard to tell. Could be the seated figure. Couldn't find anything that it matched in my Redbook, so I have no idea what it is. The second one is the right size, wrong metal. Period counterfeit worn down to nothing. VDI +48, no green patina. Only 3 inches deep. Third is farthing size, worn to oblivion. But it is still nice to dig three coppers, the excitement of something identifiable is always there.

The next two smaller things are buttons, but the third large thing is kinda cool. Worked on it alot, but couldn't get all the corrosion off, and was worried about wearing the plating off. I think it is a button, but the fastener is broken or worn off. It looks like brass-plated copper (VDI +52). It consists of 4 concentric circles -- the first is an outer ring of brass-plated copper, then a ring of some gray metal, then another ring of brass-plated copper, then the middle is also a disk of the gray metal. Pretty fancy for that time period, I would guess.

I have no idea what it could be , and wish I could get it cleaned up better. I will say that it is a heart-stopper to dig a coin-sized shiny yellow disk at VDI +52 .
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!