I am a new member and this is my first post. I bought a used Garrett GTA 1000 detector. It appeared to be in excellent shape but I am having a problem with it. The audio signal cuts in and out at random even with the coil over a metal target and held absolutely still. I noticed that the two battery holders, when removed, were both broken. I felt sure that this was the problem. I called Garrett and they sent me two new ones. I just installed them today and I still have the problem. I noticed that when I wiggle the cord that runs from the coil to the control console, up near where it screws into the console, I can make the signal stop and start. Obviously, with this intermittent signal it is impossible to use the machine. I don't know if it is a bad cord, or what else it could be. The cord is permanently attached to the coil so it looks as though the cord alone can't be replaced. I cleaned all fittings and contact points thoroughly, and I am using new batteries. Does anyone have any suggestions ? Thanks in advance for responding.