Thread: Humid/Hot Hunt in the Woods - 1st Shield Nickel & Old IH

Threaded View

Humid/Hot Hunt in the Woods - 1st Shield Nickel & Old IH

Today was a very muggy near 90 degree day, so what did I decide to do? Put on my jeans and long sleeve shirt and coat myself in bug dope and head for the woods. Started out intending to do some bottle digging at an old home site I have found bottles at before, but after awhile I just could not resist the urge to do some MDing. No whole bottles today.

This site is a very old home site that I have been to many times in the past and recovered some nice relics, but no coins. The only coin out this site so far is an 1864 2 cent piece my uncle got there last fall. So I decided to grid off an area about 20x20, which we have gone over before. I decided to disc out iron, because there is so much here. After about 20 minutes I get a fairly repeatable signal in the nickel range at 6 inches. I am thinking shotgun shell. I pull it out and realize right away its a coin, and realize I just dug my first shield nickel when I see the stars and 5 clear as day. I try to compose myself and keep going slowly over the area gridding it back and forth, and at this point I turn all my disc off because I'm digging everything. About 10 minutes later I pass about two feet from where I found the nickel and get an a very weird signal, dig down and find a square nail in the hole. I stick my pinpointer in the pile and I get a hit, I brush the dirt away to expose a small greenish disc. Another coin, whew hoo! An 1865 Indianhead penny. I went around the area for another 15-20 minutes and then packed it up for the day. Just a little over two hours and was drenched in sweat and super stoked to find two old coins from this trashy cellar hole. I couldn't see the 1867 date on the nickel until I got home and cleaned it up.

Thanks for lookin'!
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token