Thread: disgusted my trash

disgusted my trash

Is anyone else disgusted with humanity by the amount of trash and litter you find. And that's just the metal stuff I'm sure there's just as much if not more plastic in the ground. Seriously beer cans haven't had pull tabs on them in at least 30+ years but everytime I'm out I find no less then a dozen of them. I guess there's no real answer to this problem other then to remove the trash with the treasure
    1 mercury

Re: disgusted my trash

The pulltab was invented in 1962 and by 1964 most beverage cans ( soda and beer, etc...) had them.

And yes it is totally amazing how much trash people throw anywhere except the trash containers.

If pulltabs weren't enough...now we have aluminum screw caps and can slaw to deal with also.

A word to the wise though--------most of the silver coins I have found while detecting in the last 4 years have been in heavily hunted areas where after I dig up a good amount of trash items, the deeper coins were able to be seen by the detector.
    Robbie
    author of "Find More Silver Coinshooting Parks and Schools" by Robbie Morin
    contributor to- Camp Logan: Houston, Texas 1917-1919-by Louis Aulbach, Linda Gorski and Robbie Morin

I agree there is alot of trash out there, but..for every pull tab signal there is a chance at gold. I dig a fair amount of trash, like everyone else. It comes with the territory. There are more pros than cons, so I dig em. At times it gets aggravating, but you could pass up gold by not digging some signals. I wish you luck in your future hunts. Happy Hunting!!
    We are not here for a long time, We are here for a good time. Happy Hunting!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Oldest coins: 1690's William III Copper
    1787 N J Copper, 1787 Ct Copper
    massdirtfisher@gmail.com

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

I too am amazed at the amount of trash in the ground and just laying around. I was at the beach the other day and could not believe how much trash was just left by the previous days beach users. They just leave it where they were sitting and go home. I just do not get that.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

What really bothers me is watching the city park maintenance workers mow over aluminum cans creating the shards of aluminum we all hate. I have seen this so many times. They don't care at all in the park close to my house. I pick up all the shards I can find, and put them in the trash cans. These guys will not get off their mowers for anything but lunch. Don't get me started on all the dog poo people don't pick up. yuck! I don't clean up that stuff.

"Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

How about all the can slaw in the woodchips totlot areas. :-\

I have seen tree workers throw their aluminum cans in those chipping machines when they grind up trees. Are they forgetting some of the chips go to childrens play areasthinkingabout:? 8/ 8/
    And I hear you on the dog walkers NOT picking up the leftovers. Can't tell you how many times I've had to wash off my shoes............. \:[
    Robbie
    author of "Find More Silver Coinshooting Parks and Schools" by Robbie Morin
    contributor to- Camp Logan: Houston, Texas 1917-1919-by Louis Aulbach, Linda Gorski and Robbie Morin

Just like everyone else in this post... I'm shocked with what everyone just decides to throw on the ground.
    Past and present. crying01

Because of my hobby... the first time our daughter wanted to take her shoes off at the park, I said absolutely not!
    There is waaaaay to many sharp items in and on top of the ground to let her run around barefoot.

The only upside - most of the silver coins we find in parks today is because of the trash in the ground. If not for the
    camoue, all you folks detecting in the 70's, 80's and 90's would have gotten most of them. lol

Like others have said, I am amazed that people use our beautiful parks and just get up and leave there trash sitting there. Then the park workers just mow right over it without a thought, plastic bottles, can's, does not matter. It's pretty sad, the laziness and disrespect that is in the world!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token