Thread: Indian Heads, Silver and a fun pocket spill

Indian Heads, Silver and a fun pocket spill

We had another break in the heat today. After a week of mid 90's and lots of humidity, the temperature
    broke again today for a very pleasant Sunday morning hunt. Low 70's for the entire morning.

Did some park hunting and managed to get keepers in my pocket.

Plus an enjoyable pocket spill. The high tone stopped me to investigate. But as I circled the hole, the high tone
    sharply turned into a low one and moved a bit. Once I isolated the high tone again and got a solid pinpoint,
    I was hoping there might be a nickel mixed in with silver. The targets were at the right depth.

No silver in the hole, but it was fun pulling out all of the coins.

Although I wish my coil found it's way over more shiny ones... I was very happy with the variety of coins. thumbsup01

Re: Indian Heads, Silver and a fun pocket spill

You certainly had a great day of hunting, Joe! Beautiful coins! Those Indian Heads are so green they're almost luminescent.

That is an awesome pocket spill too!

I am curious about the dates on the wheat cents from the pocket spill. I always like to pinpoint the approximate year the coins were dropped. It also helps me to figure out how long certain coins were commonly in circulation, like the V Nickel.

Congrats on the fun finds! <:
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 420 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 125 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 406 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 90 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

WOW, very nice. Love the pocket spill! How bout sending some of that cool weather this way!
    2013 28 Silvers
    2014 6 Silvers, 10 Wheats
    Oldest coin 1899 Barber Quarter
    Fisher F75 LTD, Garrett ProPointer, Springfield 1911
    “Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero”……HORACE

Now THAT's a nice spill, even without some silver!! Congrats!
    Metal Detector: Teknetics Omega 8000

That is a sweet spill you got there. Great variety.
    That is some nice soil you have there and the coins show it. Great details and your V-nickle is in super shape.
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

That looks like a great hunt! Very nice coins and those old spills are always fun when you get to keep pulling coin after coin out of the dirt! I know what you mean about the weather, what a welcome break today!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent link=topic=10881.msg119223#msg119223 date=1344215613
    I always like to pinpoint the approximate year the coins were dropped. It also helps me to figure out how long certin coins were commonly in circulation, like the V Nickel.
    I like to do the same thing.
    After digging them I figured they were possibly dropped in the mid to late 30's. Based on the wear of the Buffs, and Wheats.
    The V seems to be in good shape compared to the wear on the other two groups.

Here are the dates -
    Wheat Cents:
    1913S
    Buffaloes:
    V:

Quote Originally Posted by CODY link=topic=10881.msg119224#msg119224 date=1344215646
    How bout sending some of that cool weather this way!
    lol Sorry buddy, we just can't spare any. Below 90 degrees is a rarity around here since the beginning of June.
    Perhaps sometime in September I'll package some up and send to you. $9.99 plus S&H. rofl

Quote Originally Posted by Snapolson link=topic=10881.msg119231#msg119231 date=1344216926
    Now THAT's a nice spill, even without some silver!! Congrats!
    Thanks. It was fun pulling them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Thiltzy link=topic=10881.msg119236#msg119236 date=1344219328
    That is some nice soil you have there and the coins show it. Great details and your V-nickle is in super shape.
    The park had the sandy/black soil mixture I love. Although I had a bit of corrosion on a few coins... most from here
    held up very well.

Quote Originally Posted by milco link=topic=10881.msg119237#msg119237 date=1344219723
    I know what you mean about the weather, what a welcome break today!
    Thank you Darren. It was fun to have the coins keep coming one after another. A couple times I had two coins with each handful
    of dirt.
    I was digging some ground a little bit up your way this morning. Very nice weather on your side of the river.

Man! I need to get out bad! .... lol
    Thats a cool old pocket spill Joe! thumbsup01
    Just the Merc and 4 IH's would've made for a fun day! ... specially since I haven't swung my detector in weeks crying01
    Congrats on a sweet hunt!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Veteran Member

great hunt Joe , havent been out for so long , dont know what its like to get anything
    |
    Minelab E-Track ,Minelab SE, with stock coil, 10/12 sef coil , sunray 8 inch coil

silver count: 2011, 117 silvers , 20 indian heads

Wow, looks like a great hunt even though you didn't find as much silver as you would have liked. I don't see to many buffaloes with such a nice date on them. A couple of the Indians are in great shape and the V is a beauty. I would have loved to hunt today, but my daughter came for a visit and I ended up working on her car instead.

Indians

Joe, very nice assortment of keepers. That V looks great. A pocket spill like that puts a smile on anybodies face. | on those keepers
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Veteran Member leslie(nova scotia)'s Avatar

From the land of the Bluenose.....nice patina on the coppers. Merc are always a joy to find! <
    From the land of the Bluenose.....life is a beach at least till the tide comes in and the Bud is all gone. Swish and dig at the drop of a dime!

congrats on all your finds i wish i could find a nickel have yet been able great finds and goo luck dennis

Elite Member

Freakin' Wicked Hunt!! Lots of indians and some great nickels...WHAT A SPILL!
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

! Great photo's, and story! on the silver, and IH's! But especially the spill! That is awesome! To me. that is better then a silver dime. Love those old Nickles ! WTG!! |
    2012 count: 99 silvers, 3 V Nickels, 4 War Nickles, 2 Gold Rings, 17 Silver Rings, 6 Buffallo Nickels,2 silver braclets, silver cross: 2013 1 Silver, 2 Silver rings, 1 Sterling Neckless with heart charm

Nice going Joe , that is one fantasiic spill and as always great photos .

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

Very nice Joe, congrats on some great finds, WTG |

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

wow great old pocket spill Joe just look at that v-nickle

(you know Joe your soil really sickens me ) lol lol
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Very Nice!! Congrats!!!