Thread: SLQ, Mercs, Indians, and a day in the sunshine.

SLQ, Mercs, Indians, and a day in the sunshine.

I hit the old town square at sunrise this morning. The finds there were sparse today. Last week's rain must have provided a brief window of opportunity to find silver there. Today I found 4 Indian Heads and a lone Mercury Dime, plus several wheat cents. I will try it again after we get some more rain.

So, I moved across town to a lot I had noticed earlier where the old high school used to be. They have displayed the old cornerstone to commemorate where the school once stood, and the stone is dated 1877. My first good find there was a Mercury Dime dated 1919-D. Then soon after that I found a 1907 Indian Head Cent. Then right next to the sidewalk I got a quarter signal that was about 5 deep. I was amazed when a Standing Liberty Quarter came out of the hole!

The finds were not as impressive at last weekend's, but I still enjoyed being out in the sunshine.
    Name:  Park-1.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  132.2 KB

Here are today's finds:
    Name:  Pile-0825.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  78.2 KB

Today's Indian Head Cents:
    Name:  Indians-0825.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  93.9 KB

Ordinarily I would be very excited to find an SLQ, but this one isn't too pretty. It was about 3 from the edge of the sidewalk and it is really mottled. This is after I scrubbed it with a soft toothbrush and gave it a soak in sterling silver jewelry cleaner. I'm not sure if it will clean up any better.
    Name:  SLQ-Rev-0825.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  63.1 KBName:  SLQ-0825.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  64.2 KB

Here are the two Mercury Dimes, 1919-D and 1937:
    Name:  Mercs-0825.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  58.2 KB

This token is about the size of a quarter. It has the same numbers on both sides. Any ideas?
    Name:  Token-0825.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  53.9 KB

Ended up with 13 wheat cents:
    Name:  Wheats-0825.jpg
Size:  54.0 KB

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 12-19-2017 at 02:52 PM.

Re: SLQ, Mercs, Indians, and a day in the sunshine. What's not to love?

You are killing the keepers this year Tony! What a great picture with the Sun in the background. Very impressive finds, and a truly inspiring hunt. SLQ are hard to come by. I actually have a real hunt planned for next weekend. I will be thinking of this post all week. Thanks for sharing.

Jack
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Re: SLQ, Mercs, Indians, and a day in the sunshine.

congrats on all your finds looks like a little bit of everything mercs slq s wheates and indjuns what more can you ask for again congrats on sa great hunt dennis

One heck of a day there Tony! Congrats on some great finds! Maybe a bath house token on the quarter size token? Great pic's!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Great hunt!! It's nice that you are allowed to hunt those areas. They aren't always so nice around my way.
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost...

Teknetics T2 LTD, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Tool, Sawtooth Gator Digger, Lesche 28" T-Handle Ground Shark Shovel, Ultimate Gray Ghost Headphones

Veteran Member

Great finds that 1897 indian looks wonder |ful
    Minelab E-Track ,Minelab SE, with stock coil, 10/12 sef coil , sunray 8 inch coil

silver count: 2011, 117 silvers , 20 indian heads

Nice!!

Another great hunt Tony. The square is a small one. Congratulations on pulling all the keepers you've found there
    over the last few hunts. I enjoyed the picture of the site.

Love the SLQ. She's a bit rough... but a nice one nonetheless. <:

Great finds and beautiful pictures Tony .

Quote Originally Posted by jkress link=topic=11105.msg121426#msg121426 date=1345963163
    The square is a small one.
    You're looking at about 1/4 of it in the first photo above. It has sidewalks that go from the middle of each side and meet in the center of the square. I was standing near the center of the square when I took that photo.

Here are some more photos of the town square from different angles:
    Name:  Park-3.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  88.6 KBName:  Park-4.jpg
Size:  104.2 KBName:  Park-2.jpg
Size:  107.1 KB
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 12-19-2017 at 02:53 PM.

You got ya a great old town to hunt in there Tony. I seen your town was established in 1837. My wife is from Galesburg, and every time we make the drive over there I notice how many of these little OLD towns we go through. Great hunting Tony and congrats on a nice bunch of finds, thumbsup01
    Just one more Beep!

Quote Originally Posted by buck57 link=topic=11105.msg121431#msg121431 date=1345983181
    You got ya a great old town to hunt in there Tony. I seen your town was established in 1837.
    Yes, Monticello is celebrating it's 175th anniversary this year. I'm not sure why, but I've never had any luck detecting here. I think it's because there are several experienced detectorists here in town and every site has been pounded to death. That's why I have to venture to other towns to do my detecting.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 420 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 125 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 406 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 90 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Your killing me man!
    You've doin' outstanding here lately! thumbsup01
    Another sweet hunt Tony!
    Congrats!
    We'll have to pick a town in-between us and meet up again soon
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Great hunts Tony...some very nice keepers
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

Veteran Member leslie(nova scotia)'s Avatar

That is a great dig especially in a school yard. Gud scoff! <
    From the land of the Bluenose.....life is a beach at least till the tide comes in and the Bud is all gone. Swish and dig at the drop of a dime!

! on a great hunt Tony! You're knocking em dead! Great I.H. count! At the park I have been going to. I have found 1 1880. I find it hard to believe that I have not found any more yet. Whats you're secret? Anyways, You have a great place to hunt! WTG! |
    2012 count: 99 silvers, 3 V Nickels, 4 War Nickles, 2 Gold Rings, 17 Silver Rings, 6 Buffallo Nickels,2 silver braclets, silver cross: 2013 1 Silver, 2 Silver rings, 1 Sterling Neckless with heart charm

Tony, say what you want but that picture of your finds is very impressive. I am sure that anybody would love to have those in their keeper pouch. on a great hunt
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

Another nice hunt Tony. You are on a roll so keep rolling or ah swinging. WTG |

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber