Thread: Two Weeks at the Beach

Two Weeks at the Beach

For the past four summers my family and I have vacationed at the beach in New Hampshire. It never felt like one week was enough so this year we went for it and took a two week vacation there. It was hands down the best two weeks of my life. I will say that a two week vacation is far, far better than the sum of two one week vacations.

As always, I detected myself silly at the beach. I took the Sov GT and hit the beach every morning but one at about 5am. For many hunts my father joined me using his Etrac. I saw many fantastic sunrises and made some spectacular finds. I could write quite a bit about it but I guess I will let the pictures speak for themselves.

There were other detectorists out every time... sometimes I counted as many as a dozen. The wet sand was almost completely void of signals... even junk was scarce. I got lucky one morning though and it gave up two gold rings. The beach seemed to have a different shape or profile than in years past so I'm guessing the sand had moved around or something. Regardless the beach is a beautiful and inspiring place to detect... the sights and sounds alone are worth a trip.

I wound up with about 550 coins worth a little over $50. Among those were a well tarnished Merc, a silver Rosie, and two older nickels. The Rosie and one of the nickels were recent drops I would guess. The Merc is amusing to me as it's my third from this beach and a reminder that even 10 detecorists every day all summer can not hunt a place out.

I eyeballed a nice stainless steel necklace... it just nulled on the Sov. I also found a titanium spinner ring. Neither is valuable but they were both firsts and cool to find. The real keepers were a silver necklace and pendant, a silver crucifix, a silver ring, and three 14k rings - two of which are a decent size. I'm actually looking forward to getting into work tomorrow to weigh them. My goal was one gold ring so to find three was spectacular, and really gives a boost to my find totals for the year!

So that's my story... I'm already looking forward to next year. Happy hunting!

NOTE: The two items in the foreign coins pic are examples of the sort of targets that would make me nuts... they sound like deep targets and fall right through the scoop.

Attached Images Attached Images          
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

Re: Two Weeks at the Beach

For good measure here's some of the sun rises I saw... and a pic of the hole I dug for one target (it was a penny). The Sov is an absolute beast in the sand and I would often dig holes big enough to sink a basketball or two into before getting to the target!

Attached Images Attached Images     
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre

Sounds like you had a ball at the beach. Which beach was it, Del and myself were both at Hampton beach awhile ago. Huge congrats on getting all that gold, the silvers nice too. Some very nice photos..thanks
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff link=topic=11198.msg122115#msg122115 date=1346699666
    Sounds like you had a ball at the beach. Which beach was it, Del and myself were both at Hampton beach awhile ago. Huge congrats on getting all that gold, the silvers nice too. Some very nice photos..thanks
    It was Hampton. I know both me and my Dad would have loved to hook up with some forum folks. Bummer!

Look at all that treasure ! thumbsup01 Great finds , congrats !
    Glen
    Always looking for that next ring !!

Treasure hunting at its best. Awesome finds.
    2013 28 Silvers
    2014 6 Silvers, 10 Wheats
    Oldest coin 1899 Barber Quarter
    Fisher F75 LTD, Garrett ProPointer, Springfield 1911
    “Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero”……HORACE

. Super finds and great pics.
    Just one more Beep!

great sunrise pictures was just there on the 23rd and 24th of August and was doing the same thing. you did great on that beach Z despite of all the detecting presure it sees , at one time there i saw almost 2 dozen beach combers and it was strange to see so many people at that time on the beach all for a few moments freeze to watch the sunrise. we always go to Hampton about that time hopefully we can get a few forum members together to hunt it together. congrats on the successful beach time Z.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Great story and some awsome finds. Three 14k rings in two weeks is better than most. Congratz oh and great pics thanks for sharing |
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

Best two weeks ever despite the fact that you consistently out detected me. That Sovereing is a beast on the beach and you really have mastered the tones. The two silver dimes though still are the finds that I envied the most. My silver coin drought is rapidly hitting five months now.

As they say in sports, wait until next year.
    Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

Congrats on the nice finds. It was time well spent and the pictures of the sunset are fantastic.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Wow what great pics and finds | Thanks for sharing the sunrise pics, very nice- the last one is fabulous Your clad count was enough for a nice dinner!

Quote Originally Posted by del link=topic=11198.msg122176#msg122176 date=1346718853
    was just there on the 23rd and 24th of August and was doing the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by z118 link=topic=11198.msg122106#msg122106 date=1346695151
    took a two week vacation there. It was hands down the best two weeks of my life.
    So maybe you two saw eachother and didn't realize it?
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Quote Originally Posted by tanacat link=topic=11198.msg122302#msg122302 date=1346846979
    Tana , thats very possible .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by tanacat link=topic=11198.msg122302#msg122302 date=1346846979
    Wow what great pics and finds | Thanks for sharing the sunrise pics, very nice- the last one is fabulous Your clad count was enough for a nice dinner!

If you were in front of the big pavillion or north of it between 4:00 AM and 9:30 AM or in the evening after 6:00 PM chances are excellent that we passed each other. I was the one digging up the bottle caps!
    lol

Added: Or were you the guys doing the night detecting?
    Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

<: <: <:
    What an awesome vacation.

Look at all of those goodies. Congratulations on all the silver, gold and big clad count.