Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fugio Cents And King George Coppers

Re: Fugio Cents And King George Coppers

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyguy link=topic=6397.msg74870#msg74870 date=1310488982
    ooohhhh baby.....nice finds Angel. Going slow is the key in the iron and trash....just like poker, you have to have patience. :white:
    Yes, patience is a key part of a successful hunt, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent link=topic=6397.msg74871#msg74871 date=1310488998
    Just when I think you can't possibly top yourself... you do!

Each of your finds are more amazing than the last. All of these coppers are spectacular, but those Fugio Cents are mind blowing! I used to patronize a local coin shop in my youth ran by an elderly gentleman named Ernie. I remember one time that Ernie showed me a Fugio Cent that he owned. He was really proud of it. At the time I was really too young to appreciate it. Now I understand how rare and historic they are.

Congrats on the incredible finds, Angel! I can't wait to see what you find next! |)
    Thanks Tony. The Fugio cent is a very nice coin. I was pleased to see that much of the detail could be made out in the ones I found.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking link=topic=6397.msg74877#msg74877 date=1310495950
    Dang! DAAAAANG! Not too shabby!

So when you're working at a snail's pace for a couple of hours, how big of an area do you generally cover? 10 ft x 10 ft? 20x20'? Also, is the assumption that old coins and relics are everywhere at your sites? I ask because when I try to go that slow, I always freak myself out that maybe I picked the wrong 20' x 20' area, so before you know it, I'm all over the place again! Any advice?
    When on planned hunts I do try to select an area to grid, usually 40 x 40 (eyeballing size), but not all locations require detecting at a snail's pace. The type of targets and trash a site has yielded during past hunts helps me determine how much time and effort I should spend working it. But once I do start a grid I stick to it. Doing so has worked well for me. This requires much patience, for the desire to jump to that patch of ground on the other side of the field is always pulling at you, especially when nothing has been dug for an hour or more.

Yesterday's hunt was more of a leisure one, but the particular site does demand a very slow and methodical approach. Fast swings when working an E-Trac at this site will yield poor results, of that I am certain. Though I did not employ a grid during the hunt, the section I did work was no larger than 30 x 30. I do plan to work it again from various angles until I am satisfied that I have worked it as best as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking link=topic=6397.msg74877#msg74877 date=1310495950
    I always freak myself out that maybe I picked the wrong 20' x 20' area, so before you know it, I'm all over the place again!
    lol :-\ Sadly, you just described me. The only difference for me is... after working the 'other' area, I usually come to the realization
    that Barbers and Seated coins are probably back in my original spot. So back I go trying to find them. lol

Other than your choice of detecting clothes, I'd say you had a great day lol Very nice pair of Fugios. They are always nice to find and rarely are they in that nice condition I've been thinking about that lead? slug, and all I can come up with is someone commemorating the 100th anniversary of Jamestown, VA. Looks like you had a stellar day |)
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Dang! DAAAAANG! Not too shabby!

Also, is the assumption that old coins and relics are everywhere at your sites?
    Sorry Viking, I neglected to answer this part of your question.

I can only speak for myself, for we all tend to have our own effective style of hunting and the way we approach a given site. When I detect at a site that has been worked well over the years, but that has had a history of yielding old coins, I work it as if there are definitely coins there, and that I just have to get my coil over them.

I give the site my full attention and concentration, not swinging lackadaisically, but rather being very attentive to what the machine is telling me. Often all you get is a hint that there is a conductive piece of metal under the coil (I always detect with conductive tone), but at an old site that is enough to stop me on my tracks to get me to further examine the signal. I have pulled some very nice surprises at many old sites by taking this there must be a coin there approach.

Does that mean I will always find old coins? Not at all! The fact is that one cannot find what is not there. Also, what coins remain at some sites may be beyond the machine's depth capabilities, or the trash and/or iron concentration may be too much for the machine to properly latch on to the good target. In fact, such sites can be quite a challenge to work. But taking this approach has definitely worked very well for me. I consider it a successful hunt if I walk away from the site with just one nice keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut link=topic=6397.msg74950#msg74950 date=1310572905
    Other than your choice of detecting clothes, I'd say you had a great day lol Very nice pair of Fugios. They are always nice to find and rarely are they in that nice condition I've been thinking about that lead? slug, and all I can come up with is someone commemorating the 100th anniversary of Jamestown, VA. Looks like you had a stellar day |)
    Detecting in shorts was somewhat liberating, but it does give the mosquitoes too much skin to work on. lol The item does look to be lead. I think it is a keeper. thumbsup01

The Fugios did have my heart pumping. lol I was very happy to see them in good condition, though the obverse on both coins do have verdigris on them. I just removed the surface soil, and will leave them like that for now.

nice advice and nice HUNT!! willy

you dirty man you.

wow Angel another superb hunt! nice coinage dude!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Congratulations , breathtaking finds.What an awesome collection of coins you have dug in your career .

Wonderful old coppers and certainly an inspiration, but I'm afraid that I live much to far south to find anything this old.
    Oldest Coin: 1846 LC

Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer

Fantastic finds.. My #1 overall hunt would be a Fugio cent- I should be so lucky!!!
    Between my machine beeping and my tinnitus - my ears/brain are very busy. Using a Ace 350.

once again you find coins that most of us can only imagine finding congrats on yet another great hu nt dennis