Thread: The field that keeps on giving. My first Liberty Cap!

The field that keeps on giving. My first Liberty Cap!

I spent 6 hours yesterday exploring a new area. My goal was to find another cellar hole. Well, 3 hours in I did in fact find one. However, it must have been hit hard in the past, because all I got were iron signals - An hour of digging nails, I decided to explore a little bit more. With the sun about to set, I started my 3 mile walk back. I came home exhausted and disappointed.

This morning when I woke up I figured I would be too beat to go detecting. Nope! I stretched out and I went off to my colonial field once again. I decided to grid search an end of the field I couldn't really get to before, because of overgrowth and snow accumulation. I started working the very edge, and was able to get my coil in between some thorns and stubble that was just off the field. I got a screaming signal, and even after the lifting method I figured I had a can; then I thought back to that time where I thought I had a can and it turned out to be a Morgan Dollar. I dug it up and out popped a crusty large copper! I was shocked. I couldn't make out any detail, so I put it away and continued on. I found buttons and then the silver name plate thing (for a pocket knife maybe?), which was cool. (I believe it says Lila and also STERLING.)

4 hours later I was home and the cleaning/preserving process began. Hydrogen peroxide wasn't helping me ID the coin, so I did something I wouldn't normally do - scrubbed it with a brass brush! Then, after applying 3 or 4 coats of renaissance wax, I stared at this coin for 20 minutes straight, using shadows to try and see any raised detail that may be left. At first I thought I had a non-regal copper of some sort, but I eventually noticed the bust of the lady facing right. Eureka! My first ever Liberty Cap large cent! Back is toasted of all detail.

Also, note the penny-sized carved piece of lead. N on one side and a ¶ type thing on the other side. Am I imaging it, or is there a little tiny smiling guy with 2 nose hairs on the N side??

Anyways happy hunting all and thanks for reading/looking! |

Attached Images Attached Images         

Re: The field that keeps on giving. My first Liberty Cap!

Looks like you made some wonderful finds, and yes, I can see her head.
    Oldest Coin: 1846 LC

Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer

Very nice finds ! Where's the Morgan ? Too bad about the Liberty Cap, there hard to find in good condition especially in a field. It's still a coin though. Can you get a date? I like the Fire Department button also. What's the other 2 pc. button and where does anyone think the Silver Plate goes to. There's such a Variety of finds, I think the field was used for multiple uses. The Fireman's buttons says there might of been a Carnival where they had fireworks or something back in the day which accounts for all the coins and relics. The Silver plate I have no idea but it's got to be worth at least melt down value. Post the Morgan if you can, Again !!
    Sal
    Detector used: White's XLT AVATAR IS A FMDAC
    SILVER ROUND- EAGLE CLUTCHING DETECTOR OVER THE EARTH

2013 Finds so far : 4 Wheaties, ** 6 Indian Pennies ** (all found in Cornfield) , 0 Shield Nickels, 3 Mercs, 2 Barber Dimes, 1 Silver Washington , 1839 Large Cent, 1 2Center
    [url=http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=58][color=blue]click here to see

2014 Finds : Inactive for Now

Quote Originally Posted by Sal66 link=topic=12936.msg137657#msg137657 date=1365305524
    Very nice finds ! Where's the Morgan ? Too bad about the Liberty Cap, there hard to find in good condition especially in a field. It's still a coin though. Can you get a date? I like the Fire Department button also. What's the other 2 pc. button and where does anyone think the Silver Plate goes to. There's such a Variety of finds, I think the field was used for multiple uses. The Fireman's buttons says there might of been a Carnival where they had fireworks or something back in the day which accounts for all the coins and relics. The Silver plate I have no idea but it's got to be worth at least melt down value. Post the Morgan if you can, Again !!
    Sal
    I can't seem to get an exact date off the LC. 8/

Never thought about the fireworks thing. I guess it's possible. I do know that there is an old foundation right nearby, so people were definitely living there and probably working the fields. I think the silver plate went on knife of some sort.

Toasted or not on your liberty cap. That coin is on my wish list. I agree that the silver plate item went to a pocket knife.

I have found that stretching before the hunt really helps. Hope that the field can produce some more goodies for you.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

That silver strip, i found one just like it, what is it
    Hello Wisconsin!

Nice finds,
    2013 28 Silvers
    2014 6 Silvers, 10 Wheats
    Oldest coin 1899 Barber Quarter
    Fisher F75 LTD, Garrett ProPointer, Springfield 1911
    “Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero”……HORACE

Congratulations on an amazing bunch of keepers here.

The buttons, relics and the Liberty Cap are of an age we just dream about here in Iowa.

Very, very nicely done Elad.

Pulled out a couple more crusty Matron heads and an old token. My friend also managed another matron head and a V nickel yesterday. The field continues to make me love it.