Thread: for cannon balls ?

for cannon balls ?

Without giving too much away, I found these near an old firearms factory. I can make out a 3 and a 6 on top of the one.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Re: for cannon balls ?

Cannon balls are done in molds, but they have to be spherical. Are yours round?? They don't look like it in the pictures. If they are not round, perhaps they were used to makes cakes of a metal that they would use later. Kind of like (pig) iron is smelted and cast in molds, to be used later when needed. What a great find. Interested to know just what they were used for.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

george, i think thay may of been round at some point but over time thay have sort of squashed under the ground (sorry...i was with him when he found them).
    there quite heavy.

Thanks Lee. The third picture down almost looks like the two pieces were not the same size but were part of the same mold. A cannon ball mold would be an excellent find. If you could figure out the diameter, you may be able to see what pound cannon ball would come out of it. The numbers may be the weight (in pounds) of the cannon ball. Solid iron is heavy for such a small package lol
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold