Thread: New here, got 1100+ hours MD'ing in Panama City Beach Fl

New here, got 1100+ hours MD'ing in Panama City Beach Fl

Hi, Mike in PCB here. Member of Lost My Stuff and 95% water hunter. Posted in the Buddy Forum as well. I swing 3 machines right now, started with an ACE250 / DD combo, then got my White's Surf PI Pro and a month later got my Minelab Sovereign Elite. Working towards a Minelab E-Trac now. Scooping with a Sunspot Stealth 720i, pics are in the Buddy Forum post.

hello Robby , welcome to the forum nice to see another beach/water detectorist on the forum. i'm very envious of your weather right now , glad you joined the forum Robby.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Veteran Member leslie(nova scotia)'s Avatar
    Welcome to the forum and I'm sure you will feel at home her me bouy!
    From the land of the Bluenose.....life is a beach at least till the tide comes in and the Bud is all gone. Swish and dig at the drop of a dime!

Welcome aboard from western MA. You will miss nothing with that scoop Hope you do well down there in PCB. You are looking to get an E Trac for the non beach areas? Cause on the beach, that Sovereign and PI, will be hard to beat. Remember you are just one swing away from that diamond ring
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Welcome from Illinois.
    Hey, if you would like to come up and try a Lake Michigan beach, I would gladly switch places with you until May
    Just Saying
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    Welcome from Illinois.
    Hey, if you would like to come up and try a Lake Michigan beach, I would gladly switch places with you until May
    Just Saying
    Thanks but no thanks, grew up in Illinois, strapped a snowplow blade on the front of my truck and drove south until someone stopped me and asked what it was. I took it off and buried it in a local park for some unwitting detectorist to find and settled down....

Veteran Member
    Welcome from L.I. Best of luck and HH!!!

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum from SE Wisconsin. It is nice to welcome another water/beach expert to the forum and I'm looking forward to your imput. Wish I had your weather at the moment. GL and HH

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Hello and Welcome to the forum from John in New Jersey...
    Whites VX3 - Blisstool LTC64X V3

Sorry gang, my posts tend to be picture heavy...

Thanks Y'all! Fire Fighter - I've got a buddy in Appleton, don't know how close that is to you but he was telling me about the cold and blowing snow the other day, and all I can say to that is ..... BLECH! I have come to hate snow, so, I guess I am a true Floridian again after 36 years away. My buddy comes down here for 10 weeks a year in the winter to get in some beach swing time, if you can make it this way for a vacation sometime, give a shout, I'll show you some good beaches.

Personally, I moved from Albuquerque New Mexico to Panama City Beach in 2010 and started detecting Feb of 2011, so I don't know if I'd call myself an "expert", just a waterlogged guy with a lot of swingtime in the water. I am starting to really click with my Surf PI now and getting some of the really deep whispers that have turned into GOLD for me, the best was a size 11-1/2 8.9 gram 14K in about 10 inches of sand in chest deep water. It's all about time on the MD and getting to be "one with the machine". The best tip I can pass on is to get into the natural cuts, the ring from above was less than 5 feet from the waters edge, all around me the water was just knee deep but I found a spot where the current was cutting a trough about 20 yards long and it was as I said chest deep. The last 3 rings all came from cuts like this - 4.4 gram small 14K band, 5.7 gram 10K size 12-1/2 (sold for $100) and the ring mentioned earlier. All were deep and had obviously been there a while, and I got all 3 in the span of a month.

Here's the summer's results from just ONE of the 80+ miles of beaches I hunt.....

Here's one I recovered for a fellow veteran who was here on leave and lost his ring on July 13 (I recovered it on Aug 6th) "somewhere between the sandbar and the beach out back of the Chateau Resort". He had to go back to England where he is stationed before I ever got word of his loss. He is once again wearing his wedding ring thanks to the Surf PI. The recovery was made just a couple hundred yards to the left of the picture above. Here's the link to the story on Lost My Stuff:

If anyone wants to see my photo albums on Facebook, I have tons of pic's in them. I am on facebook as "Roy Cobb" from Freeport Fl and use the same avatar as here. Send me a friend request and I'll approve it. I also post on FB anytime I am going to be near a beach webcam so all you snowbound folks can watch and live vicariously through me. My usual MD days are Tu-We-Thu (MY days off from work - BLECH again, but that's another story... )

Happy Hunting!!!
    Last edited by robby4570; 12-09-2013 at 12:18 PM.

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the site! Love your posts.

Welcome Mike, I always thought your name was Robby!!?!
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeeRon View Post
    Welcome Mike, I always thought your name was Robby!!?!

Apparently it's "Roy Cobb".
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 420 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 125 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 406 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 90 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

My name IS Mike, my nickname has always been a shortened version of my last name - Robby - and I own a Trapdoor Springfield and an 1874 Sharps, both in 45-70-500, hence robby4570 screen name on all the forums I am on. I use Roy Cobb on Facebook so someone I testified against in an armed robbery case has a harder time finding me, and the guys at the gun store I got my Sharps from started calling me Roy and my wife Cora (we met at the same gun store, long story) and it just stuck. So there you have it....
    Garrett Ace250/DD, Minelab Sovereign ELITE, White's Surf PI Pro & Sunspot Stealth 720i....
    And coming (not soon enough) a Minelab E-Trac!!!! When did I become a Detector Collector???

Quote Originally Posted by robby4570 View Post
    My name IS Mike, my nickname has always been a shortened version of my last name - Robby - and I own a Trapdoor Springfield and an 1874 Sharps, both in 45-70-500, hence robby4570 screen name on all the forums I am on. I use Roy Cobb on Facebook so someone I testified against in an armed robbery case has a harder time finding me, and the guys at the gun store I got my Sharps from started calling me Roy and my wife Cora (we met at the same gun store, long story) and it just stuck. So there you have it....
    It has got to be true...who could make that up? Plus I read in on line, so it IS true I better start calling you Mike. One thing is for sure, I won't try and sneak into your house Nice to see you are prepared
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Welcome to the forum from a former beach hunter (Santa Cruz, Ca. and Jax in Florida.) Not much oceans in the middle of the Mojave though.
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have found your niche as far as hunting goes, some very nice finds.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album