Thread: Suggestions for backup machine.

Suggestions for backup machine.

Hello all.
    I am considering getting a backup / loaner machine and I am looking for suggestions. I want something that is simple enough for my wife (not a techie) can operate but still quality enough that I can use and be satisfied. I am currently using the VX3 and I'm considering the MX5 for my backup. This unit would be interchangeable with the six coils that I currently own.
    I am open to other brands if someone can suggest something in the same price range ($500)that would have enough benefits to outweigh the coil interchange advantage that I would get from the mx5.
    Also if anyone has experience with the MX5 could offer pros and cons I would like to hear.

Thanks

Ron
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

If it were me and I already owned a vx3. I would get a relatively inexpensive water machine like Garrett's AT Pro. Which your wife can use on land, as well as serve double duty as a detector for rivers and swimming holes. In my area of the country when it gets over a 100 degrees detecting in the water starts looking pretty good.
    Last edited by freemindstuck; 01-10-2014 at 02:24 PM.

I'd guess the mx5 would be great seeing how you already have the extra coils. Having never owned a Whites I can't say how user friendly it is. Good luck with your decision.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

My first machine was a whites M6. It's a very good entry level machine. Pretty much a turn on and go machine but you can tweak it some. Has salt mode for the beach and a jewelry coin mode. Highly recommend it as a good back up and easy enough to use for the wife. It is interchangeable with all the whites coils and is a coin hog.
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

In the February issue of Lost Treasure they have a field test article about the MX5, and they speak very highly of it.

Garrett AT PRO for sure!
    Minelab CTX 3030
    Minelab Excalibur II
    Minelab GoFind 60
    Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II
    Garrett AT ProPointer
    Garrett Recovery Tool
    Stealth 720i Sand Scoop
    Vibra-Quatic 2 Pinpointer
    Land and Sea Pinpointer
    Lesche Digging Tool
    Lesche 40" Shovel
    Lesche Piranha Shovel
    2007 Jeep JK to get me to where the treasure is!

My Youtube Channel! American Digger in Europe:
    https://www.youtube.com/c/AmericanDiggerInEurope

Ron, you can also get good used MXTs for short money and have all your coils at your disposal. There are a few folks on this site that use those MXTs with incredible success year after year.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Hello Ron;
    A used MXT Pro is a great machine if wanting to stay with the Whites line-up, but as a care free loaner/back-up the AT Pro $600 new is waterproof to 10 feet should the machine get rained on or dropped in water and also rated well.
    Best luck in your choice. John.
    Whites VX3 - Blisstool LTC64X V3

It's a no brainier. Go with an MXT or an M6. Great, easy to use machines, and great service. You've also got lots of $$ in the coils. I've owned both and miss them.

Thanks everyone for all your inputs. I have done my best to look into the AT pro and MXT as well as the MX5 and haven't come to a conclusion yet. At this time I am looking at using the VX3 as the turn on and go unit for my wife and as a loaner/backup and getting the E Trac also. I like the idea of having the E Trac in the arsenal. I like what I read about this machine. I know that this would toss the mid range price out the window but it is an option that I need to explore. I welcome inputs from all of you to help me come to the best choice possible.

Cheers

Ron
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

Well I finally came around to a decision. After a lot of research and shopping around I decided on a used E trak that I picked up from Pulltabsteve. thanks Steve! I couldn't bring myself to buy something that didn't have room to grow into. Since I know the VX3 it will be easy to teach the wife how to operate and it can be used as a turn on and go if needed. As for all the coils, it looks like I will out some up for sale to offset the E trak price. I only use the SEF coils anyway so I won't mind parting with the whites coils. I wish the weather was better so I could get out and swing. Thanks for all the inputs.

Ron

ron, have you used any of those SEF coils on any salt beaches? IF so your thoughts please.
    Thanks Tom.

Ron you'll like the results of this machine .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    ron, have you used any of those SEF coils on any salt beaches? IF so your thoughts please.
    Thanks Tom.
    I haven't had that chance yet Tom, I am a little landlocked here in KY but I am hoping to try it out this summer. I will hold on to the 950 concentric for that specific purpose though.
    I like your profile pic. What model do you ride?

Regards

Ron
    Last edited by Ronandari; 01-27-2014 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Ron you'll like the results of this machine .
    I believe you are right Del. I took it to the fairgrounds. Yesterday and although the ground was frozen solid I was able to chisel out one penny. It seems to separate very well and I found a few targets that gave me a deep short blip at about 10 inches repeating a co# 44 from different angles. I thought this was interesting because they were surrounded by trash signals. I'm looking forward to the thaw so I can investigate.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ronandari View Post
    I haven't had that chance yet Tom, I am a little landlocked here in KY but I am hoping to try it out this summer. I will hold on to the 950 concentric for that specific purpose though.
    I like your profile pic. What model do you ride?

Regards

Ron
    Thanks Ron. I need to pick up a concentric for my V3i. Guess what I was wondering was, if the SEF would behave pretty much the same as the 10DD in the salt.The scoot is a 07 Fatboy!