Thread: Old Indian Head defies Logic

Elite Member

Old Indian Head defies Logic

Took advantage of a gorgeous day in Wisconsin to hit a few spots from last year. The first spot was an old HS that was completely refurbed several years back with all the top soil stripped and placed back on the grounds. Last year I hit several silver with old and new coins all over the depth chart. The school was originally opened in the late 20's so Merc's and Rosies are the time range. I stopped digging most of the deep 12-38 signals as they are always zincolns. Today I got a 12-35 range hit and was ready to walk by but something said dig it up. It was down a bit and I finally saw the dirty disc and rubbed off some dirt. I was shocked to see the Indian on the coin as I had found nothing that old before. I noticed the coin had good detail so I rubbed off the date. "1865" with a solid liberty and no crud on either side. Where the hell did that coin come from, it did not even have the green patina it was actually bronze in color. I'm pretty sure it's my oldest coin. By days end I was also able to hit on 3 Mercuries as well as several Wheaties. A beautiful day with a beautiful coin. Love this Hobby. Wisconsin Digger
    Not a great photo just could not get focus.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Veteran Member
    Congrats!!! I had an experience last year similar to yours all things considered and I ended up finding a 1851 LC. So it goes to show that you never know what you may find at any sight. Safe & HH

You never know whats going to p[op up. Congrats on the 1865 Indian
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

I`ve also found a 1865 I.H which came out of the ground in really nice shape like yours.I think that there were different types produced that year because of the war.Copper or brass,I`m guessing we both found the brass ones.Congrats.

More than one person on here needs photo lessons. Nice find tho. You never know as you said top soil was replenished once. Could have been in the soil before the work or came with the newer soil. You never said the depth it was at but deeper it becomes more inacurate. Just lucky the soil wasn't acidic otherwise it would be green. I believe wooded areas are more acidic due to the leaves and needles decaying and how wooded areas puddle water. Thats why the relic hunters don't find many coins that retain their markings.

WTG on the IH. A lot of the schools around here were old farm fields way back in the day.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Quote Originally Posted by The Rebel View Post
    WTG on the IH. A lot of the schools around here were old farm fields way back in the day.
    I see one in the town where I live is actually the opposite. Lol. There is a house built 1951, but it's 1/3 acre lot and somewhere on east property line, or the west property line of the still utilized farm field is where an old school house used to be.

Like Don said, you never know what is going to pop up!
    Tom
    Oldest Pull Tab Found, Mid 1963!
    Coin Master-4D, Coin Master-GT, Spectra-V3i.
    Most reliable and accurate metal detector ever made: A Magnet...
    There is a tool for almost anything, however no one tool works for everything!

you really really never know. A friend of mine had some top soil delivered and there was a half Reale in it.
    Dig Colonial or Go Home

Personal Website www.cttodd.com

More than one person on here needs photo lessons. Must be referring to RobW

Nice hunting, love it when they strip the dirt then put it back. on your keepers
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Great hunt! Yeah it's the thrill of not knowing just what might come out of the ground is a big part of the hobby.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    Congrats on a nice Indian and the silver. We are finally back in the game here in WI.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

It always nice to see an Indian show up, but even better if it is pre 1880's Many reasons to see a nice condition Indian. We usually blame the kid that borrowed one from Dad's collection for show and tell.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Elite Member
    I think there is a lot of truth to the different make up of coins. The same is true on coin ID's they tend to very as do the coin conditions for reasons other than ground conditions. An IH I found two days earlier is full of crud and was found in better ground than this one. Thx for comments Wisconsin Digger